Great day! Hunting an 1890’s homestead!

Detector Pigeon

Oct 29, 2023
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I had plenty of free time on my hands so I decided to go back to the 1890’s homestead! This time instead of detecting around the house itself I decided to focus on a small spot with a ton of broken pottery and iron (It used to be a dump site up until in the 1940’s).
IMG_4995.jpeg
Anyway it was almost impossible to detect the area because there was an insane amount of iron, so I used a screen box and a shovel and started digging and sifting! I was able to get occasional high tones while swinging the detector over the ground but it wasn’t too accurate. Almost immediately when I dug I found a 1936 wheat Penny… Great sign! As the day went on I kept finding more and more!
IMG_4947.jpegIMG_4953.jpeg
I would load up the little sifter box and then take it to a nearby creek and sift it out. I found a buckle, 7 coins, buttons, a marble, and lots of glassware and nice pottery. (6 of the wheat pennies are copper and one is a 1943 steel.)
IMG_5007.jpegIMG_5038.jpeg
This spot is definitely worth coming back to, there is a lot more to find! :icon_thumright:
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4975.jpeg
    IMG_4975.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
Upvote 18
Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. Something different.
Way to go on the recoveries. :icon_thumright:
MM

Well done on the recoveries.
You certainly worked for them

Last Saturday I had plenty of free time on my hands so I decided to go back to the 1890’s homestead! This time instead of detecting around the house itself I decided to focus on a small spot with a ton of broken pottery and iron (It used to be a dump site up until in the 1940’s).
View attachment 2129092
Anyway it was almost impossible to detect the area because there was an insane amount of iron, so I used a screen box and a shovel and started digging and sifting! I was able to get occasional high tones while swinging the detector over the ground but it wasn’t too accurate. Almost immediately when I dug I found a 1936 wheat Penny… Great sign! As the day went on I kept finding more and more!
View attachment 2129097View attachment 2129095
I would load up the little sifter box and then take it to a nearby creek and sift it out. I found a buckle, 7 coins, buttons, a marble, and lots of glassware and nice pottery. (6 of the wheat pennies are copper and one is a 1943 steel.)
View attachment 2129091View attachment 2129090
This spot is definitely worth coming back to, there is a lot more to find! :icon_thumright:
Thanks for looking!
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Cool marble!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back