Great Button !

H

hunting4gold

Research pays off... I have been trying to find an old church campground dating back to the early 1800's.. I found an old farming field next to the church so my son and I stopped and asked permission to hunt. A very nice older lady said sure go ahead and help yourself. That was this past Sunday afternoon..
After 3 hours of hunting I found (1) 1898 v-Nickel, (1) indian head 1902, 7 buttons total. 5 eagles and 1 ladies button (2 piece) and a beautiful 1 piece button that I researched and found online. It is silver plated and reads on the back "E. Pluribus Unum" it dates back to about 1790 and is worth probably between $200 and $250.
I did not locate the campground but what I did find was an old homeplace that had dissapeared probably 75 years ago or longer.
I went back and offered the landowner the Indian head penny, and of course she refused, and said come back and hunt anytime you like. You can bet I will be back there, maybe tomorrow?

I have attached a picture of the button. The quality is not too good but its a good find.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff !!

Attachments

• buuton 3.jpg
    buuton 3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 250
Congrats on the BUTTON

more items...

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 237
MY MOTTO IS YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GONNA FIND IN A FARMERS FIELD. I'VE BEEN TO MANY AND ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING.THE BUTTON IS A NICE FIND.IF YOU NEED REFERENCE, TYPE IN" THE RELICMAN "UNDER GOOGLE.COM, HE HAS TONS OF THESE EAGLE BUTTONS.MY UNCLE TOLD ME THAT THE STATE WAS PLOWING A FIELD TO MAKE A ROAD TO THE HIGHWAY AND STUMBLED ACROSS A 1600'S FOUNDATION. THATS THE THING, MANY OF THE OLD HOMESTEADS WERE MERELY PLOWED INTO THE FIELD AND FORGOTTEN.ITS NICE TO KNOW THE AGE OF THE LAND, BUT IN NEW ENGLAND I ALWAYS ASSUME A FIELD IS OLD. HEY! ANYONE ELSE FIND SPOONS AND FORKS AND KNIVES?? I HAVE SO MANY I COULD START A COLLECTION.(HA!HA!). MOST ARE SILVER GUILT, BUT THEY SURE DONT MAKE THEM LIKE THESE ANYMORE. ONE TIP: A FIELD IS ALWAYS HIT OR MISS, MY FRIENDS AN I DID TWO FIELDS AND ONLY FOUND AN 1865 TWO CENT, A SHIELD NICKEL(NO DATE), AND A CIVIL WAR ERA PISTOL. BUT ITS EASY DIGGING AND WELL WORTH A TRY!!!!!!!

that fork looks like one of my kids used to pry open something ???

Re: Great Button ! Sad News !!!!!

I went back the site again today and while I was hunting a man in a pickup truck came flying out accross the field to me and said what are you doing? I said I am looking for old relics and I began to tell him that the lady in the old farmhouse gave me permission to hunt and he said, well, she don't on this and you are going to have to leave !! I could have sit and argued with him but I was on his property so without futher discussion I packed it up and headed to the truck. I had fun while it lasted.
This has made me more determined to find the Old Campground nearby so I went to the library and I think I hit payday. A lady there told me exactly where it is at so now all I have to do is get permission and this time from the rightful owner.
I can't understand why someone would just all out lie and tell me they own the property and come to find out they don't. I was good mind to give that lady a piece of my mind but it would not accomplish anything.

I'll just go find another place....

I've seen where a land owner doesn't want you to detect on "his" property when in all actuallity he's rented or leased the land out to someone else who has given you permission. The tenant has the right to give permission.

Excellent digs! 8) Nail that place big time and get some more.

I have only found two spoons (one colonial) and no forks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back