Got the fever need some help.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK all you who have infected me with this fever, I need a bit of advice. The area of a creek I’m working in is very wide and fairly shallow right now. The bottom is totally covered with rock averaging 3” to 6”. I have worked the inside bends close to the bank and right out to the middle, I have dug in the smaller sand/gravel drifts and rolled bigger rocks and dug under them. I’ve taken a pick and cleared an area of the larger rock the get down deeper. I find flour gold in every single case. When just classifying into a pan i can avg one or two pieces. While running a sluice for the first time for maybe fifteen minutes I had 6 to 8 pieces. Keep in mind this is flour gold. Just tried out two home brew sluices today. My version of the Bazooka and a typ. mesh carpet style. They both found gold but I need to do a little tuning on the bazooka to get it to clear better. My question is what are the clues to look for in a case like I have. Should I just keep digging deeper/ What else can I look for? There has to be a concentration some where.

Upvote 0
Have you hit bedrock yet??? If you haven't you either need to keep digging until you hit it or move to a different part of the creek that has bedrock. That is where the larger pieces of gold will be.

Hunter. Welcome to the BEST Tnet on the net. BAR NONE! As posted above, bedrock is the key word here. Also, Lake Michigan is known to yield up a diamond or two. Get a good look at the cons you pan. TTC

Since our gold in this area comes mainly from glacial moraine and it washes into the water where it concentrates over time , look for the highest bank possible , its best if the river cuts into a moraine hill. If you have any sections of clay bottom , take a shovel and scrape the clay right at the waters edge where the gold washes down and into the water. Gold can stick to the clay at the waters edge and not move any farther. Break up and dissolve the clay as best you can while classifying and then run it through the sluice.

I just learned this lesson with hard clay bottom beneath high banks/cliffs myself but its producing really well where as other parts of the river are spotty at best. Im getting an average of about 1 to 3 flakes per shovel full of stuff scraped up from the clay at the bottom of about a 2 story high "cliff" cut into glacial moraine. I spent this past thursday test panning the entire area and all the spots I have been randomly grabbing material from and atleast at my location this has been the BEST.

If you have no clay Id imagine you may still see similar results , there is just more places for the gold to hide with sand and it moves farther once entering the river.

ive got a perfect creek that is littered with rocks like those as well as nice rounded bolders that you would bet have gold under them...but the ONLY ones that ive been finding gold under are the ones sitting directly on blue clay. clay is keeping the gold from going any further down. found gold every rock i moved on the clay portion of the creek as well as silver. good luck!

Hey hunter see you still have the fever well I will say this and it may just be my opinion but everything that one might look for in other states well... these things seem as if they don't apply here in Indiana I've found this to be true here in Putnam county at least look up prospector Jess on youtube search these terms (where to find gold along stream&river bends-'gold in a storm') this is a good 8 part video series and this guy knows his stuff I learned a lot from watching this.
There's a lot of geology in this series pay close attention to what he says as soon as I watched this series I started having success.

I built my own hand pump for those large boulders you find on the bedrock check it out I posted it up on this site. Bedrock is for sure where to find the gold and look up high on the banks where see those boulders you may find some honey pots just waiting for you.

OK all you who have infected me with this fever, I need a bit of advice. The area of a creek I’m working in is very wide and fairly shallow right now. The bottom is totally covered with rock averaging 3” to 6”. I have worked the inside bends close to the bank and right out to the middle, I have dug in the smaller sand/gravel drifts and rolled bigger rocks and dug under them. I’ve taken a pick and cleared an area of the larger rock the get down deeper. I find flour gold in every single case. When just classifying into a pan i can avg one or two pieces. While running a sluice for the first time for maybe fifteen minutes I had 6 to 8 pieces. Keep in mind this is flour gold. Just tried out two home brew sluices today. My version of the Bazooka and a typ. mesh carpet style. They both found gold but I need to do a little tuning on the bazooka to get it to clear better. My question is what are the clues to look for in a case like I have. Should I just keep digging deeper/ What else can I look for? There has to be a concentration some where.

Just keep it up...lol have a buddy help ya...peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back