Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold my DFX and the one i sold it to could not figure out how with all the setting how to run it ... So he asked me to take it back and i did .. But my self i like a detector that is not all complicated also ...I Like a detector i can turn on balance and hunt .... I have been a Garrett and Minelab person most of my hunting life .. But had the MXT Pro out the other day and really liked the way it worked.. Very easy detector to work with..

Keppy the DFX is a fine detector and I sold mine too because I mainly water hunt and the guy I sold it to loves it. The MXT is a step down in the way it operates and its performance is equal, just different. I enjoy playing with settings, but for real fun I tend to grab my Tesoro Tejon. Set #1 Disc to knock out pull tab and #2 Disc at just under dime and I gather all the coin, etc all day. But the hunts are short cause the knees don't like the up & down stuff.:BangHead: TEJON.PNG

Attachments

• Tejon new.JPG
    Tejon new.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 170
Yep those MXT's are great on the depth, try and run the gain at +2 or more I usually try and run at +2 as any more it gets a little noisy to hear those real deep whisper targets. I also like to turn on and hunt instead of going through menu's to adjust settings, I don't like to be going through menu's when others I'm with are digging stuff already. HH

Huge dfx fan :icon_thumleft:

Yep those MXT's are great on the depth, try and run the gain at +2 or more I usually try and run at +2 as any more it gets a little noisy to hear those real deep whisper targets. I also like to turn on and hunt instead of going through menu's to adjust settings, I don't like to be going through menu's when others I'm with are digging stuff already. HH
Yes running through those menu's drives me nuts ...It seems like it takes forever..

The DFX can be easy to run or a very complex machine. I have my own custom program that I use most of the time so don't use the adjustments much at all. It's very easy to ground balance
also so doesn't take me long at all to start swinging.

The DFX is my dry sand beach and moist sand beach detector, Ive found quite of bit of jewelry with it and quarters up to 11" deep with the 9.5" concentric. This is the maximum depth in dual frequency mode for this machine, i find that loading a custom beach program and dedicating the machine to one use is best for the DFX. The menu can be challenging, for other tasks such as dry land and parks my Gamma 6000 and Fors Core rule.

Once you get the machine set up for the types of places you hunt and how you like it to sound and act, it is turn on and go.. Been out all day.. think the only thing I messed with was filters at one park that had lots of iron.. ended up leaving it where it was when I started.. All day, 4 different parks, no messing around with setting needed. Just because you can does not mean you need to.. configuration is available to compensate for ground conditions.. Only thing required is knowing what to alter should you run into issues.

Just bought a DFX on Ebay. Haven't got it yet. I didn't really need it as I have a V3i, but I thought it may be easier to use. I watched all the instructional videos on Youtube. Found a few links for home made programs. Not that many variables. Matching the coil size and my actual swing speed with the settings for swing speed, and recover time seem to be the trickiest part.

Recovery speed is not about swing speed but coil size.. To set you put 2 items on the ground a coils width apart and adjust recovery so you only get one beep per item.
Sweep speed is an augmentation to Filters you find a non iron target that has not been dug up. You set the sweep speed to 1 and start with a filter of 3 then swing over the item at different rates to see how clean you can get the spectragraph. Then bump filters up, ground balance and try again. Once you get the cleanest graph you adjust the sweep speed to your preferred swing and still have the same graph. This will need to be adjusted with different coils as the DD and concentric pass over the object a different speeds signal is faster up and down with a DD.
Get a copy of Digging Deeper with the DFX for a more indepth expatiation of how ground filtering works. 99% of what is ind DDwtDFX will be true for your V3i and help you in that area as well.
Good luck with both machines!

I just sold a copy of DDwtDFX for $25, if you really want to get a kick start in how the DFX and V works, drop the $30 and read that puppy about 3 times.. I know that is how many times I did and sill go back and reference it at times.. Worth $30 for sure.

The delay and Recover is the same but backwards from each other I think.. The higher the recovery is set on the DFX the faster it recovers.. you get 2 beeps for one target as it see the change in the field as the coil starts to hit the target and then sees it again as it leaves ..
Again Sweep speed does not deal directly with the speed you are swinging. It increase the filter effect requiring a faster swing to get a good signal with a set level of filter. DDwtDFX says never raise sweep speed over 10, increase filter and lower sweep setting.. for the same swing rate.. You need to understand what it is doing which is about a page and half of writing in the book.

OK. I ordered DIGGING DEEPER WITH THE DFX, by Jeff Foster Now I will have to wait until the detector and book arrive. What about the book By Jimmy Sierra understanding the DFX?

Last edited:
OK. I ordered DIGGING DEEPER WITH THE DFX, by Jeff Foster Now I will have to wait until the detector and book arrive. What about the book By Jimmy Sierra understanding the DFX?
Na, have that one didn't do much for me.. more or less the manual with a little extra but not worth it to me. Might even have an extra copy I can send you will look when I get a chance.

Very good then. It will be interesting to see what the DFX can do compared to my CZ7a Pro.

The CZ7a Pro is one of my favorite machines.

The CZ7a Pro is one of my favorite machines.

Just missed a CZ-70, (the CZ-7a Pro with one more tone added), that sold on Ebay for $164.00. I marked it on my watch list, but then got busy and missed the final bid.

Last edited:
Just missed a CZ-70, (the CZ-7a Pro with one more tone added), that sold on Ebay for $164.00. I marked it on my watch list, but then got busy and missed the final bid.

Look into ebay sniper software. Lets you choose you max and then puts in bids at the last couple of seconds up to your max so as not to drive up the price like ebay autobid does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back