Got a question about a point found...

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Found this point a few years back at a very early site. I've always associated this as a copper delaware indian point. The point is hollow and measures about 5 inches long. My question is...if this is infact a copper delaware indian point, where are the seams like you see on rolled brass pieces we find? How in the world did they make this without a seam?

Attachments

• P1000412.JPG
    P1000412.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 833
Upvote 0
Looks like lightning rod tip. Does the very tip appear to be a different metal or color? Here's a photo of an early 1900s or late 1800s tip. Yours appears to be older than the one in my photo.

Attachments

• rodtip.JPG
    rodtip.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 491
Thanks for the reply mikusek! I have identified this as a lightning rod tip as well... after many discussions. I am proud to say I have dug several early rolled brass points since then! Take care!

If your tip is old enough, it could have been used as an arrow tip by Indians, they were opportunistic and inventive, as your brass points prove. I believe Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod, not sure of the year or the style he designed.

The Indians were pretty crafty with kettle metal. Looks like a conical point to me. Judging from the items in the background I would say it is a point. Nice looking find.

I have a couple pictures of a semi rolled or unrolled kettle fragment, we've found numerous points with a seam down the center. The site is dated 1773-1812 . This particular piece may have been meant for something other than a point but the example is the same as if it was being worked into a point.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120623_135646.png
    ForumRunner_20120623_135646.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 155
  • ForumRunner_20120623_135719.png
    ForumRunner_20120623_135719.png
    620 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I believe those are tinker cones. Indians would cut up copper kettle metal and make these shape to attached to their clothing. This would create jingling sounds when dancing etc. Or for decoration. If you find ones rolled like a cigarettes they are for their hair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back