Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got our first whole crotal bell! It's pretty small and the ball inside is rusted to it so no ring but it has a nice smile! We found some buttons including another Losse button, a mashed army button and a cool Alrite button with a train on it! Found some buckles, lead and more headstamps. Also one little head that appears to be a lady with a fancy hat. Found a couple little pins and lots of iron (not shown) including a chain and an axe head and the sash weight. We had a great time. The killdeer were running from us doing the broken wing thing. They are so cute! It's good to see spring! Have a great Easter tomorrow!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408-203731_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408-203731_Gallery.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20230408_214735.jpg
    20230408_214735.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20230408-203855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408-203855_Gallery.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230408_131053.jpg
    20230408_131053.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 85
Upvote 34
Depending on how specific your bucket list was, it might be still on it, as its a Sleigh Bell not Crotal Bell. Similar but has an iron attachment instead of a loop (for any animal) & therefore was only attached to a leather band used on horses/ponies.

Well congrats on the bell-sleigh/rumble (as Cru stated it attracted to a strap) Not often does the ball get stuck to the side.
A very productive hunt that was had for sure with a bit of everything.
Mechanical pencil, the lead head is cool (was thinking it looked like a boy wearing a cap)
Liking the embossed hem weight which is something that isn't seen often.

Depending on how specific your bucket list was, it might be still on it, as its a Sleigh Bell not Crotal Bell. Similar but has an iron attachment instead of a loop (for any animal) & therefore was only attached to a leather band used on horses/ponies.
Thank you for that info! I shall still mark it off the bucket list as it is the shape/design we were seeking. 😄. I will rename it sleigh bell!

Well congrats on the bell-sleigh/rumble (as Cru stated it attracted to a strap) Not often does the ball get stuck to the side.
Mechanical pencil, the lead head is cool (was thinking it looked like a boy wearing a cap)
Thanks! I really like the mechanical pencil piece too! It's a Blaisdell. I am guessing the hem weight you refer to is the JW Losse? I have been improperly naming things lately. 😄 I assumed due to the size and embossing that it was a button. Did they make hem weights that small? The shape is right for it.

Finally got our first whole crotal bell! It's pretty small and the ball inside is rusted to it so no ring but it has a nice smile! We found some buttons including another Losse button, a mashed army button and a cool Alrite button with a train on it! Found some buckles, lead and more headstamps. Also one little head that appears to be a lady with a fancy hat. Found a couple little pins and lots of iron (not shown) including a chain and an axe head and the sash weight. We had a great time. The killdeer were running from us doing the broken wing thing. They are so cute! It's good to see spring! Have a great Easter tomorrow!
That was a great day! Congrats

I think it looks like a lady head. That pic wasn't great. Any idea what it was on?

Attachments

• 20230409_072301.jpg
    20230409_072301.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230409_072206.jpg
    20230409_072206.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230409_072229.jpg
    20230409_072229.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 21
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Lenrac, love the distressed head...a jockey? The sash weight is interesting too...I am finding a bunch of those in my back yard...what do you think they date back too? 1940"s?

Lenrac, love the distressed head...a jockey? The sash weight is interesting too...I am finding a bunch of those in my back yard...what do you think they date back too? 1940"s?
Thanks Coinstar! Could be a jockey! I thought it was a lady with a fancy hat. I think you're right on the money with date on the sash weight. I think that foundry is still in business.

These are great farm finds. It’s interesting to see similar items to what I have found at farms, including the crotal bell, buckles, Indian head pennies, and I think shotgun shells. Did you find any silver at this site? The typical coins I’ve seen are barber and mercury dimes. Great finds, congrats!!

These are great farm finds. It’s interesting to see similar items to what I have found at farms, including the crotal bell, buckles, Indian head pennies, and I think shotgun shells. Did you find any silver at this site? The typical coins I’ve seen are barber and mercury dimes. Great finds, congrats!!
The only silver we found was a merc. Not a lot of coins there but did find our first and only large cent there. And a few indianheads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back