Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 8740BE03-E1BD-4885-992B-87ABD019E836.jpeg
    8740BE03-E1BD-4885-992B-87ABD019E836.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 270115F0-7D30-41A9-9CAA-F3FCCBFDC4F7.jpeg
    270115F0-7D30-41A9-9CAA-F3FCCBFDC4F7.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 74
Could it read Goodyear Patent and could the date possibly read 1849-51? Your button is a hard rubber one that probably pre-dates the civil war. Nelson Goodyear obtained patents in 1849 (elastic cords for suspenders) and 1851 (improvement in manufacture of India rubber) Both 1849-51 and 1851 dates appear with Goodyear's patent on enlisted men's hard rubber buttons. I think yours is civilian. But, to collectors the 1849-51 date is rarer than the 1851 date.

Upvote 0
All I can see is “novelty rubber Goodyear” at the top and then at the bottom left “1849” and underneath that says “NEw”. So I might also say 1851 but cannot see it. The rest of it is worn off. It feels like it’s plastic. Can hard rubber be that hard and feel like a plastic?

Upvote 0
Great job in spotting this button! :thumbsup:
Dave

"The most common back mark found on these hard rubber buttons (and other objects) is from the Novelty Rubber Co. which usually shows as "N.R.Co." abbreviated on buttons. N.R. Co. was founded 1853, incorporated 1855 and produced until 1886. Other marks found on hard rubber buttons and objects are: India Rubber Comb Co. (IRC Co.) and American Hard Rubber Co. (AHR Co.) and there may be others including "India Rubber". The "IndiaRubber" mark does not have the Goodyear patent information and may have been made in England or France or could be considered a "pirated"item lacking the required patent info.

Collectors call these "Goodyear" buttons, but this title is incorrect. Goodyear simply held the patent for a period of time and most examples carry some form of the Goodyear patent back mark. The most common company back marks to find are from: Novelty Rubber Co. (N.R. Co.); IndiaRubber Comb Co. (I.R.C. Co.). During the life of the patent Charles Goodyear held (rubber hardening process), all buttons made of hard rubber had to carry evidence of his patent. Many carry just the word Goodyear's and"P=T", an abbreviation for Patent and the year 1851. There are rare back marks and errors which are highly sought by collectors of these rather utilitarian and plain looking buttons. Keep in mind, hard rubber buttons, withthe exception of diminutive sizes, are always back marked but not all willcarry the Goodyear patent information, those being made after the patent expired. Some dyed/pressed horn buttons are also back marked, if you learn which company names will be on the back of hard rubber buttons (always US made, never French or British as most horn buttons) you should have no trouble identifying the material properly. A hot tool test will reveal a fairly strong rubber smell. Colors vary from black to brownish and there are rare true brown and tan colors. Some hard rubber buttons turn to a brownish color over time and should not be confused for the buttons that were brown from the start."

Upvote 0
Wow thank you I wasn’t even going to pick it up I just thought it was some plain plastic button!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back