Good Luck To Members

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to wish good luck and the best to any and all members in path of storm.

If you are along the coast in the Big Bend area of Florida please evacuate quickly to the west, not north.

If you are new to Florida or hurricanes living in Florida's Big Bend area and have not been in a major hurricane in the past, this is NOT one to ride out. 10-15 foot storm surges are not survivable along the coast.

I am born and raised In Florida, seen many Hurricanes in Florida, and Typhoons in Okinawa and Philippines in Pacific, have had eye go directly over me multiple times, but any thing above weak cat 2 is time to move out of the way and fight another day.

.Anyone thinking it will be great detecting on West coast beaches be ready to find tons of iron and metal debris that is left under the sand, the storm surge drags lots of debris from the destruction onto the beaches when the storm surge recedes.

1000009392.jpg

Just want to wish good luck and the best to any and all members in path of storm.
Echoed.

I've only been in one hurricane in my life.
Visiting grandparents in Hollywood, FL in 1964.

It was a cat 2 when it made landfall near Miami, but died out fairly quickly after that.

My main memory of it is watching out the window with my grandparents, as fireballs (ball lightning?) rained down on the roof of the house across the street, and my grandparents battling the water coming in various doors & windows.

That, and helping my grandfather put up and take down the steel hurricane shutters over the larger windows....

Been exposed to over 13+ hurricanes, although not all hit me directly, a near miss of 50 miles is still a strong storm.

I have been in direct hurricane hits at least 6-7 times, (as many Florida natives have) with the eye passing over me 4 times, and 3 close. My first major hurricane that I remember was Hurricane Donna in 1960, eye went over our home and seeing eye from the inside is something. I snuck out to witness it and got caught and yelled at.

Typhoons were a whole new experience. On Okinawa during Typhoon off shore I took taxi to some clifs to take pictures, I was seeing the waves crashing spray crashing over tops of cliffs, thousands of gallons of salt water each time, and cliffs were about 100 ft high, Cape Zanpa Okinawa.

1000009393.jpg

Now that you mention it, I do remember the grandfolks explaining to me about the eye when it passed over us.

I always thought typhoons & hurricanes were the same thing--just different geography.

Hurricanes spin counter clockwise, the dirty side is the NE quadrant, on typhoons they spin clock wise and dirty side is the SW quadrant.

1000009400.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back