Good day hunting in Illinois!

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this afternoon in this heat and found some silver! 2 mercury dimes in pretty good shape (a 1944 & a 1945). I also found what I think is a cufflink or a button (not sure how old), a spent 3-ringer mini-ball, and a spent musket ball. If anyone can confirm whether the item in the middle is a cufflink or a button, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance1
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Upvote 12
Went out this afternoon in this heat and found some silver! 2 mercury dimes in pretty good shape (a 1944 & a 1945). I also found what I think is a cufflink or a button (not sure how old), a spent 3-ringer mini-ball, and a spent musket ball. If anyone can confirm whether the item in the middle is a cufflink or a button, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance1View attachment 2154916View attachment 2154917
Congratulations on the silver, good job. Your middle item looks like a copper rivet to me. They have been using them for a long time and they are still in use today so no way to know how old it is. Your bullet on the left looks like it has ridges in the groove closest to the tip of the bullet. If that is so then the bullet was made after 1880. I am no bullet expert, but I have found hundreds of minie balls and I’m afraid it doesn’t look like one to me.

Good work on surviving the heat with a good hunt. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Congratulations on the silver, good job. Your middle item looks like a copper rivet to me. They have been using them for a long time and they are still in use today so no way to know how old it is. Your bullet on the left looks like it has ridges in the groove closest to the tip of the bullet. If that is so then the bullet was made after 1880. I am no bullet expert, but I have found hundreds of minie balls and I’m afraid it doesn’t look like one to me.

Good work on surviving the heat with a good hunt. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Thanks for the clarification on the copper rivet (makes sense as I couldn't find a matching cufflink) and the bullet. I had found a (unspent) mini ball a couple of weeks ago, so I just assumed it was one because of the grooves. I'm wondering what an unspent bullet like the one I found above would look like?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back