Good day at the park...

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a local park over the weekend with the fam and had a blast. My son made some friends and I ended up with a fan club. We hit it for about 2 hours and found .95 in clad. Not going to get rich by any means but had a great time. Later in the afternoon My son and I went over to his great grandmothers old house built in the late 1880's. (I know, its not what you hunters on the east coast consider old but its one of the oldest houses in Russell, KS) Not more than 5 feet from the back door and not more than 30 seconds in to the hunt my BH Platinum sounds off and gave a reading of 76 at about 3 inches. I'm thinking a nickel and set to digging, get to 4 inches, and out pops a rooster pendant:icon_scratch: (Hmmmmm, that's different!) I hand it to my son who immediately runs off in the house to show his Nana the treasure we found. (I love his excitement!!) I set off again digging nothing but trash and about 45 min's later my BH sounds off with a reading of 83 about 4 inches deep. I'm thinking "a dime. All right - I'm not one to balk at coins." Oh no, I dig up what appears to be a crusty nickel. (reading 83?!?:dontknow:) The crud won't come off and I can't tell what it is so I stuff it in my pouch and carry on. For the next 30 min's I was fighting with my pin pointer. It was giving false readings in very fine dust so I think the batteries were getting low and I forgot to pack extras. :BangHead: It was a good time to quit as my son and I were getting hungry, so we packed up and headed home with our 2 treasures. After getting home and eating I decided to soak the rooster and crusty "nickel" in Lime Away for about 15 min's. The "nickel" turned out to be a generic amusement park token. One side reads "NO CASH VALUE" and the other side reads "GOOD FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY" and a small diamond. No other markings on it at all.
The weekend outing just goes to show we never know what we are going to unearth with this hobby....and that's why it's so exciting for me!

The first pic is of my fan club. My son is standing on the bench in the white shirt.
The next 2 pics are of the rooster and the token.

HH - Neal

Attachments

• MDing at the park.jpg
    MDing at the park.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 08-12-2013 Nana's house-2.jpg
    08-12-2013 Nana's house-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
  • 08-12-2013 Nana's House-1.jpg
    08-12-2013 Nana's House-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Upvote 2
Would love to know the story behind the rooster pendant. :headbang: Neat that you & your son made some new friends. A few days ago while I briefly detected beach area, a two-year old boy walked purposefully over to me from where his folks were fishing. The little guy gently wrapped his fingers around the bottom of my detector shaft and moved it sideways slowly back-&-forth -- this kid is gonna go far. I gave him my plastic shovel to play with when I felt like getting back to detecting myself, lol. HAVE FUN! Andi

metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds and super sharing the hunt with your son Inches from Insanity. Thanks for sharing...

Got to talking with my wife and she thinks the rooster might be a wind chime weight. Kinda makes sense since the hole in the tail would make the roosters head hang down but I don't know. One of the many mysteries of the universe...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back