Gollums in the mountains again!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gollum's in the mountains again!

Here is me on the side of a 4000 foot peak in Anza-Borrego Desert last Saturday. A friend and I found an old protected campsite (first pic), at the mouth of a monumented canyon. At the top of the mountain is a flat topped boulder, that was used as a lookout post. We still have to run the detectors over it and the campsite.

And let me tell you, I am no nimble little mountain goat! At 6'4" and 260 pounds, climbing a steep 4000 foot mountain is work!

Protected Campsite:

campsite1asmallhm4.jpg

Me near the lookout post:

meplumc1smalltt4.jpg

Best,

Mike

Re: Gollum's in the mountains again!

Very interesting! Good luck on your quest Mike. Do you have pics of the monuments or any other markings?

Slacker!!

;D

Jeffro said:
Very interesting! Good luck on your quest Mike. Do you have pics of the monuments or any other markings?

Hey Jeffro,

Here are some (Some, I have posted before):

First is a large Balanced Pointer (about 7 feet long on the sides, and 4 feet across the back):

pointerrock1bsmlr6.jpg

pointer1smallqr8.jpg

Next, is a smaller ground pointer arrowhead:

arrowpointer1al4.jpg

Lastly, is a BIG compass on the side of a mountain:

anzacompass1jj0.jpg

Best,

Mike

Nice pictues Gollum, good luck with the campsite, the whole area looks like something out of the 1800's. Thanks for sharing interesting pics.

now thats cool

JudyH said:
Nice ta see you again, Mikey.... :-*....

Good to hear from you again, oh, love of my life! :-* :-* :-*

Best,

Mike

I don't tease! ;D ;D

Mike

It is a lot of fun! If it weren't for the desert, I'd have to spend all my free time at the beach. Funny thing, I live three minutes from the beach, but instead, I drive two hours to go to the desert! I don't think I'm quite right in the head! ;D ;D ;D

Here is a map that shows where I live. Compare the distance from home to the beach versus home to the desert. I just don't know sometimes!

homeyu5.jpg

Mike

Smart Man Gollum.....I run from the city every chance I get.....Good luck out there and play it safe....Awesome pic's,thank's for sharin'!!

gollum said:
Protected Campsite:

campsite1asmallhm4.jpg

Best,

Mike
Hello Mike. Interesting site. Were those rocks moved in that circle years ago or recently? For what purpose? For protection against Indians? Bandits? Bounty hunters? 8)

Hey Folks,

Those rocks weren't moved there. They are natural blowouts of sandstone and quartz, that form a protected circle about 40 feet in diameter. If you were to look over the rock wall, you would see about a 15 foot drop off to the trail. It's a neat spot.

Best,

Mike

It may have sounded like a dumb question but I know little about the desert. :) Could someone have used this natural area as a protected campsite? Any finds here?

Not a dumb question at all! If you look at the caption, I called it a protected campsite. I did so because that's exactly what it looks like. Haven't MD'ed it yet, as we have a few more important places to hit first.

Like This Area:

skull2pmpm5.jpg

And This:

heartclose1is1.jpg

And This:

bird1dq2.jpg

Too much cool stuff, and too little time!

Best,

Mike

[=gollum ! I don't think I'm quite right in the head! ;D ;D ;D
HI mi bosom Buddy,. has anyone ever disagreed with you?

Tropical Tramp

p.s in picture no. 2 I notice that your tee shirt is bulging over the waist line ?? Do you always wear them loose like that ? snicker

[COUNTRY GIRL , I could push you up those tough spots! ;)
Ah, enrr, ah, err, eh, hmmm, ----------------5th----------------- .

Come on down to Mexico, need help on those heavy climbs, course you might end up warming a poor lonesome Bandido's cave heeheh

Tropical Tramp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back