Gold?

Barasingha

Greenie
Nov 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure I am wrong but have to ask. Picked up a couple rings locally; they have some marks in them (see attached). One has a 14 (no K) and the other has a stamp that kind of looks like a 10 but not sure. Gold? Gold plated? Costume? image.jpegimage.jpeg. Thanks.

OH! I thought you were offering some! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Judging from the pictures the 10 k rings looks 100% like gold, the 14 is harder to tell for me. The picture of the 14 gold doesn't have the contrast for me to detect the crystalline structure on the surface to make a declaration. I do see that structure on the in the 10 k gold, gold plate shines and sparkles without any reflective cuts, and most EGP has a coating of lacquer and highly polished and buffed, gold isn't like that.

So need a better pic IMO on the 14 item.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just about did a scratch test on it and said wait a sec, that'll just f-up my computer screen ???. What I've done in the past is go to a pawn shop, jeweler or precious metals trader because it's a free test to see if it's the real deal or not... I'm clueless on if it's solid 14k gold, but it seems others can tell by just a picture. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
IMO both look "not real" gold to me. I bought and sold gold and silver for over 20 years... I hope it is for your sake though...

Upvote 0
I've dug pounds of it, been to many pawn shop to test too. After a handling enough gold some of us learn the visual characteristics and physical properties of it. When you sell to a knowing gold buyer they only test a small present of the gold, mostly unmarked and suspected marke gold is tested to determine the percentage.

We for the most part don't test gold that is plated or some other metal, that's because we immediately spot it and put it aside. Now if someone wants a piece tested we will. Some people never learn this, that's how we know masterjedi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try to sell 50 different items of gold and watch the man. Oh wait most people don't even know what that looks like, lol. Even gold refineries will outright give you a quote without testing, it just depends on what the scrap gold looks like.
That info is even on some refinery web sites, but again if you never have enough gold volume to sell you may never really know this unless someone that has tells you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm looking for gold coins when i go on my MD'ing excursions Barasingha, and then any other type if gold or precious metals. This is my digging from Friday to Sunday, no gold, one wheat and a ball charm that might be silver. That was fromabout 8 hours of digging, there's a picture of my trash too.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_073836.jpg
    IMG_20151207_073836.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20151207_073914.jpg
    IMG_20151207_073914.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20151207_074019.jpg
    IMG_20151207_074019.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 66
  • CAM00406.jpg
    CAM00406.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 73
  • CAM00407.jpg
    CAM00407.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
I just don't sit around and respond to try and help with What Is Its, I still go metal detecting, :). Feel free to look through my where I documented many of my early gold finds, got tired of posting them, :),

IMG_20151207_073958.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back