Gold Stamps

maddesa

Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, new to the forum. You have a wonderful resource here. I've been browsing and the depth and breadth of expertise is stunning. Not sure this is the correct place for this but here goes. I bought a watch online and it came on a bracelet described as gold tone. It has some marks on it and I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on them. The VI is perhaps Vicenza, Italy. The other marks I can't tell. It tests as 14k or 18k but no 485 or 750 marks. I got a steal it seems as the bracelet is solid gold. Thanks for any insights! 20170709_123555.jpg20170709_123704.jpg20170709_124149.jpg20170709_124201.jpg

I bought a watch online and it came on a bracelet described as gold tone.
Hello this is the correct place. If they says its "Goldtone" they are telling you its not solid gold. That word basically means its junk. Hopefully its brass.
Goldtone may be gold plated but it may not even be gold plated. Its basically saying the color is gold.

You think they made a mistake?

Who tested it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tested it with a nitric acid scratch kit. Yes, the implication is that the person did not know that it was solid gold when they sold it to me. My question was about the marks, the "VI" and the other partially worn away mark. I know there are stamps that are/were used indicating different purities, i.e., helvetia, squirrel, etc. Was simply wondering if anyone recognized these. Thanks.

Upvote 0
It may be a good watch. I dont mean to say its junk. The word "Goldtone" as far as I know just promises it will be a gold color.

Upvote 0
I tested it with a nitric acid scratch kit. Yes, the implication is that the person did not know that it was solid gold when they sold it to me. My question was about the marks, the "VI" and the other partially worn away mark. I know there are stamps that are/were used indicating different purities, i.e., helvetia, squirrel, etc. Was simply wondering if anyone recognized these. Thanks.

I guess you got a steal. Would be cool to see the rest of the watch might help with an ID on the markings.

Upvote 0
I guess you got a steal. Would be cool to see the rest of the watch might help with an ID on the markings.

That's what I was thinking also, let's see the watch and it might help with the ID.

Upvote 0
Arabic numbers

Attachments

• arabic-numbers.jpg
    arabic-numbers.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
We can only take your word for it that you tested it properly. We are only looking at a photo and its not a complete photo of the item. But if all I can see is the markings, I would say that this marking screams psuedo.

hallmark.jpg

Like I say though, we only have the photo to look at. If there is any doubt in your mind, I would have a pawn shop test it. If its a legit gold mark, we will all learn something, and thats what makes this forum interesting. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
The VI is perhaps Vicenza, Italy. The other marks I can't tell. It tests as 14k or 18k but no 485 or 750 marks. I got a steal it seems as the bracelet is solid gold. Thanks for any insights!

Found this online. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Fine-...-gold-bracelet-353-VI-750-Thanks/td-p/2695789

"I am Italian, so I reply.
Gold items in Italy are hallmarked with 2 hallmarks, the law requires them to be the makers ID and the gold purity (framed).

One mark is the manifacturer, and it is a number (registry numer of the firm) and 2 letters (province where the firm is registered).
E.g. 275AL means the maker is the 275th firm in the trade registry of the city of Alessandria.
Here I read 836VI and VI is the ID of Vicenza, the "capital" of gold production in Italy.

However, there has to be also the second mark, for gold purity, regardless of the maker's ID.
It is always framed, like <750>."

Also in my opinion, the word "Goldtone" should always raise a red flag. If I was selling an item that I thought was gold plated, I would not use the word Goldtone. Just saying.

Upvote 0
Pic of watch as requested. However, the bracelet did not originally go with the watch. 20170709_123340_HDR.jpg20170709_123118.jpg

Upvote 0
Pic of watch as requested. However, the bracelet did not originally go with the watch.

Ok thanks but if the band didnt come with it, it probably wont help much.

I dont know anything about watches but it says here The Seamaster is an Omega model that came out in approximately 1948 and its big advance was that it was waterproof. The Seamaster De Ville was a model that was available from 1963 to 1967 https://omegaforums.net/threads/dif...r-seamaster-de-ville-and-seamaster-600.18306/

Gold markings however are usually precise. That sun ray looking thing looks suspicious. But maybe someone will find it or recognize it as a legit gold hallmark. :dontknow: The only thing thats really important here is since it tested gold, its gold. Nice find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you searched you may have found this. Here is a ring with a VI mark (nothing else), says it was bought in Paris many years ago but it doesnt say much. (pic below) gold hallmark VI

And here are some Egyption VI Hallmarks (scroll down). Egyptian Jewelry Questions

I hope somebody can identify those markings. I think you sound knowlegable enough to recognize and test solid gold. And I think Im getting in over my head lol. Hope it gets solved. Great find.

Attachments

• ring VI.jpg
    ring VI.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 67
  • egyptian-hallmarks-on-a-gold-pendant-21401061.jpg
    egyptian-hallmarks-on-a-gold-pendant-21401061.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a ton guys for the help. I'm leaning towards it being an Egyptian hallmark for 18k, which would be an upside down V and an I. The other mark may be a partially worn away seagull or ibis. I tested it again and it definitely tests higher than 14k but just a tad less than 18, probably 17k or so. Underkarating takes place a lot all over the world. Thanks so much again for all the help.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• xEgyptian-Gold-Mark.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T3HzqKKjSa.jpg
    xEgyptian-Gold-Mark.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T3HzqKKjSa.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 674
  • gold pelican.jpg
    gold pelican.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 848
  • Marks.jpg
    Marks.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is that the same mark on both places? It kinda looks like the rays of the sun, a bush or tall grass. It also seems to have ears at the top corners.

Attachments

• gold mark 2.jpg
    gold mark 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 804
  • gold mark.jpg
    gold mark.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I have been looking at it upside down. Looks like jagged edge leave(s) now or something with a jagged edge.. :dontknow:

That 2nd pic definitely looks Arabic as compared to the chart posted by nsdq

Attachments

• gold mark 2.jpg
    gold mark 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 789
  • gold mark.jpg
    gold mark.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 816
  • arabic-numbers.jpg
    arabic-numbers.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 682
  • Gold_18k.jpg
    Gold_18k.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since it doesnt seem to match the Egyptian gold mark seagull/stork/ibis, could it be 18K from one of the other Arabian countries?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back