Gold ring and silver spoon

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Two days ago, I went to a favorite very old, rarely used anymore swim beach. good things can be found in close to the shore but can be far and few in between so I like to go further out, off the boat where bathers must have dived off the pier and possibly a swim float. It was sanded in pretty good, normally you hear a ton of iron, but it was pretty quiet. For most of the dive my Excal was in all metal, just finding fishing lures and sinkers. Finally, I got a great signal that turned out to be a nickel, and they kept coming. Visibility was good but no way could I read any dates. I ended up with three mercury dimes, three silver Washington quarters three Jefferson nickels and a buffalo. the dates I could read later were between 1941 and 1955. All of this was in a 5X5 foot area, and I could see all my holes at one time. I knew there could be a ring, but I was very far from the boat, and it was time to go back. Not two feet later I got the ring in the picture, its 3 grams and tested 14K. Just before the boat was the last signal, a spoon! I get them all the time here but the next day I saw it was engraved "Hanna" on the front with hallmarks on the back. its 8.25 inches long and weighs 1.75 ounces. Expand the pictures to get a good look at everything. good luck hunting.

Attachments

• Ringspoon1.jpg
    Ringspoon1.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 99
  • ringspoon8.jpg
    ringspoon8.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 80
  • ringspoon7.jpg
    ringspoon7.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ringspoon6.jpg
    ringspoon6.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 60
  • ringspoon5.jpg
    ringspoon5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • ringspoon4.JPG
    ringspoon4.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • ringspoon3.jpg
    ringspoon3.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Ringspoon2.jpg
    Ringspoon2.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 28
Two days ago, I went to a favorite very old, rarely used anymore swim beach. good things can be found in close to the shore but can be far and few in between so I like to go further out, off the boat where bathers must have dived off the pier and possibly a swim float. It was sanded in pretty good, normally you hear a ton of iron, but it was pretty quiet. For most of the dive my Excal was in all metal, just finding fishing lures and sinkers. Finally, I got a great signal that turned out to be a nickel, and they kept coming. Visibility was good but no way could I read any dates. I ended up with three mercury dimes, three silver Washington quarters three Jefferson nickels and a buffalo. the dates I could read later were between 1941 and 1955. All of this was in a 5X5 foot area, and I could see all my holes at one time. I knew there could be a ring, but I was very far from the boat, and it was time to go back. Not two feet later I got the ring in the picture, its 3 grams and tested 14K. Just before the boat was the last signal, a spoon! I get them all the time here but the next day I saw it was engraved "Hanna" on the front with hallmarks on the back. its 8.25 inches long and weighs 1.75 ounces. Expand the pictures to get a good look at everything. good luck hunting.
great hunt and great saves, wtg! love that spoon and a little gold never hurts. well done

Thats what it's all about. Looks like your spoon is from Finland made in 1910 from a 81.3% alloy silver.

Spot-on.

The ‘H’ after the fineness mark of ‘813’ is for ‘Hopea’, which is the Finnish word for ‘silver’, and ‘E5’ is the date code for 1910. The first mark, before the national guarantee mark of a crown, is a maker mark as a crouching lion:

Crouching Lion.jpg

It’s the mark of Kultakeskus Oy, Finland’s largest gold & silver manufacturer, founded in Helsinki in 1897 and still in business (they moved to Hämeenlinna in 1918).

Spot-on.

The ‘H’ after the fineness mark of ‘813’ is for ‘Hopea’, which is the Finnish word for ‘silver’, and ‘E5’ is the date code for 1910. The first mark, before the national guarantee mark of a crown, is a maker mark as a crouching lion:

View attachment 2161595

It’s the mark of Kultakeskus Oy, Finland’s largest gold & silver manufacturer, founded in Helsinki in 1897 and still in business (they moved to Hämeenlinna in 1918).
Thank you for the research, RC. Not for this spoon but in the past, I've spent hours looking up maker marks, usually with no luck

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Any inscriptions inside the band on the ring?

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Any inscriptions inside the band on the ring?
No karat mark, no inscriptions, the makers mark is 3XX. The 3 looks like two sideways V's over each other to form a 3. I have a few rings with the same mark, it's not uncommon.

No karat mark, no inscriptions, the makers mark is 3XX. The 3 looks like two sideways V's over each other to form a 3. I have a few rings with the same mark, it's not uncommon.

Does the mark look like this?

Wood.jpg

If so, it’s a sideways ‘W’ before the ‘X’ letters, which is one of the earlier marks used by J.R. Wood (& Sons). The company was founded in Brooklyn, NY in 1850 and later operated from 15 Maiden Lane, Manhattan, NY. They continued under that name (but using other marks), merged into Lenox, Inc. [Keepsake Division] of Trenton, New Jersey in 1970, and changed name to “Art-Carved Inc.” in 1975.

Usually there are three ‘X’ letters after the ‘W’ which Wood used to denote 18K gold but I believe these rings are rolled gold, with the Karat rating being for the gold plate. I haven’t seen two ‘X’ letters and suspect the third one may have been weakly stamped and has worn away. If not, I would guess it’s a designation for 10K (but probably still plated).

Last edited:
Nice little gold ring! Congratulations on your cool finds! Thanks for posting.

Does the mark look like this?

View attachment 2162090

If so, it’s a sideways ‘W’ before the ‘X’ letters, which is one of the earlier marks used by J.R. Wood (& Sons). The company was founded in Brooklyn, NY in 1850 and later operated from 15 Maiden Lane, Manhattan, NY. They continued under that name (but using other marks), merged into Lenox, Inc. [Keepsake Division] of Trenton, New Jersey in 1970, and changed name to “Art-Carved Inc.” in 1975.

Usually there are three ‘X’ letters after the ‘W’ which Wood used to denote 18K gold but I believe these rings are rolled gold, with the Karat rating being for the gold plate. I haven’t seen two ‘X’ letters and suspect the third one may have been weakly stamped and has worn away. If not, I would guess it’s a designation for 10K (but probably still plated).
Yes, Thats it. it's not very straight, the last "X" is 90% missing, there's just one small mark where its supposed to be. Thanks for the picture, I couldn't get one clear enough to post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back