Gold Plated Ring - Can You ID Mark Inside

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Here are three pictures of a ring I dug the other night at a building from the early 1900's. Since my buddy has a great magnifying camera, I thought I would show you the mark and see if anyone could ID it or at least tell me the year of the ring.

Here are the pics

Picture 746.JPG

Picture 744.JPG

Picture 745.JPG

Thanks for looking. I appreciate any/all comments.
Baldingboy

Attachments

• Picture 746.JPG
    Picture 746.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Picture 744.JPG
    Picture 744.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 525
  • Picture 745.JPG
    Picture 745.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 666
The hallmark looks somewhat similar to Ostby & Barton Co. but the eagle is different and facing the other way.

Attachments

• Ostby & Barton Co. hallmarks.jpg
    Ostby & Barton Co. hallmarks.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 988
Upvote 0
looked at from the other direction * (side) --its the same * OB hall mark --looking from this side its up side down image wize --if one but turns the ring around 180 degrees -- so the eagle faces the other way it will "match up" perfectly

note OB made gold "shell" or as well call them today "plated" items * see above

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
looked at from the other direction * (side) --its the same * OB hall mark --looking from this side its up side down image wize --if one but turns the ring around 180 degrees -- so the eagle faces the other way it will "match up" perfectly

I turned the pic upside down to begin with ... to better see what it was between the arrows. The OB hallmark has the eagle facing left; this ring appears to have a right facing eagle; plus the arrow/spear tips are different.

I know Engelhart Ostby died on board the Titanic, his daughter Helen survived and the family ran the business until the 1950s. It could be the hallmark is a variety of the one shown. I'm guessing it is, as I don't know of any similar one(s).

Upvote 0
Kenosha Kid said:
ivan salis said:

I turned the pic upside down to begin with ... to better see what it was between the arrows. The OB hallmark has the eagle facing left; this ring appears to have a right facing eagle; plus the arrow/spear tips are different.

I know Engelhart Ostby died on board the Titanic, his daughter Helen survived and the family ran the business until the 1950s. It could be the hallmark is a variety of the one shown. I'm guessing it is, as I don't know of any similar one(s).

Kenosha Kid~ Great research. I think that is probably about as close as you can come. Thanks so much for the information!

Baldingboy

Upvote 0
I was given a ring with the exact same hallmark and it is also marked 14K. Were you ever able to find out anything about your ring and if it is a Ostby and Barton or what year it might be from? Thanks K Cross

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back