Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Attachments

• 908 003.jpg
    908 003.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 908 004.jpg
    908 004.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 526
Not sure if I remember this correctly, but I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow where a woman had an off color gold necklace, looked the same color as yours, and the appraiser said that they turn that color when stored in a safe deposit box with various coins and other metal objects.

Upvote 0
Sweet chain either way Jack.
Looks well made so I would assume it's 10K solid gold.
Testing it would be the only real way to know. Great find!

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0
Cool chain, I would have it checked to be sure.

Upvote 0
That is a very cool chain.10k is less than 50%, so better than half is uncertain metals that may be affected differently by age and the elements?
I wouldnt discount it as a fake....have it checked by someone with a test kit.

Upvote 0
taking a swag here but that looks like something that may have been used in masonic ceremonies. once you figure out what it is, if you dont want it, ebay it and in the title put "masonic?" and you might get som bites for more than scrap value.

Upvote 0
All 10k, With what it takes to make something like that, particularly since its pretty old. the labor to make it and make it hollow and out of 10k would make it gold. 10k is only 41.666% gold, the rest copper, silver, zinc witch can all darken over time hence the nasty color. It will polish right back up.

Also the stamping mark 417 is how all jewelry is stamped for international trade, and you will see it on other stuff as well
Example
9k/24k = .375
10k/24k = .417apx
14k/24k = .585apx
18k/24k = .750

Same thing just a different way to look at it for international trade. A lot of chain is made in Italy, even to this day.

Upvote 0
I say it looks like 10k as long as it's been in the ground for a substantial amount of time. But most of my gold finds are tarnished black, not a rainbow color like your find, which is indicative to brass. If you polish it with brash cleaner and the rag keeps turning black after a couple of polishes, it’s not gold.

I soak my tarnished gold finds in household ammonia. And on the stubborn spots I use a toothbrush with toothpaste or baking soda as a scrubbing agent.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, also on my old gold finds only part of the find is tarnished, not uniform like yours, some brilliant spots are still visible.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back