Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2008

Attachments

• gpld cross (3).jpg
    gpld cross (3).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 406
Re: Gold Maltese Cross

Welcome to the forum!
can you give us a clearer picture and are there any markings on back.
It appears to be early 1900's or a little earlier.
DG

Upvote 0

Thanks for the help. I will add a couple more pictures. One of the back. This was in a box at my mother's house for many (at least 25) years.

Attachments

• gold cross back (2).jpg
    gold cross back (2).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0

Better picture of front of cross

Attachments

• gold cross new (2).jpg
    gold cross new (2).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

Very beautiful for sure. I don't believe that is a Maltese Cross. It looks more like a Glory Cross. Also I think it may be that there is only one "S" See below.

Attachments

• e1cc51dcb8e05af531a49e9ebc73eafa.JPG
    e1cc51dcb8e05af531a49e9ebc73eafa.JPG
    1 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0

Nice catch, Chip V.!

Here's a bit more info about the UOGC, and an illustration of one of their emblems from a late 19th century catalog.

The United Order of the Golden Cross was a "mutual assessment beneficiary society" founded in New England by Dr. J. H. Morgan in 1876. Both men and women were accepted as members (highly unusual at that time, and were required to be teetotalers. According to Stevens' 1907 Cyclopedia of Fraternities, the founding membership was composed primarily of Freemasons. Their national office ("Supreme Commandery") was originally based in Lewiston, ME, but later moved to Knoxville, TN. Peak membership was reportedly 28,000, but had already dwindled to half that by the mid 1920's. As noted at the link posted by Chip V., in 1962 the UOGC merged with the Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society. The emblem is described as, "...a Greek cross with the initials U. O. G. C. in the arms thereof, and a five pointed star in the centre, crossed by a monogram formed of two letters S." I'm not sure why the one posted by Charles bears a sunburst rather than a five-pointed star.
UOGC.JPG

Upvote 0
All older fraternal societies and orders emblems, pins, lodge "jewels" (badges/medals), etc. have some collector value. However, I don't believe there is a great deal of interest in UOGC memorabilia, as compared to those of, say, the Masons or Odd Fellows, or any of the Black fraternal organizations. Prices I've seen for solid gold items from other obscure &/or defunct orders tend to be about 20-25% above bullion (scrap value), but of course the only real answer is that it's worth exactly what the other guy is willing to pay. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks Again!! My Mother will be excited to find out the details and maybe she can remember how we came to have the cross.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back