Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0876.JPGIMG_0875.JPG

I found this a couple of days ago at my house. Not quite sure what it is, other than it is gold. The picture has the results of the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) which states it is 62.5% gold. It weighs 1.74 grams. It looks like it is from a pendant. The back of it has two tabs and some type of adhesive that easily wipes off. My house was built in 1886 so it could be old.

That's a really nice find. Can you post a clearer photo of the back?

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
That's a really nice find. Can you post a clearer photo of the back?

:)
Breezie

IMG_0878.JPG

Let me know if you would like another picture. I haven't completely taken off all of the dirt yet. The stuff on the back does come off using my finger nail.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
After looking at the back of the piece and seeing the 2 attachment areas, I think it is a gold pin/brooch that had a ribbon attachment, which would explain the sticky stuff on the back. Since it is real gold, I don't think it is military, but more than likely fraternal or fashion jewelry related. The pic below is one from a fraternal organization, but I'm leaning more toward fashion jewelry because of the motif.

Neat find :)
Breezie
MedalFraternal.jpg

Upvote 0
After looking at the back of the piece and seeing the 2 attachment areas, I think it is a gold pin/brooch that had a ribbon attachment, which would explain the sticky stuff on the back. Since it is real gold, I don't think it is military, but more than likely fraternal or fashion jewelry related. The pic below is one from a fraternal organization, but I'm leaning more toward fashion jewelry because of the motif.

Neat find :)
Breezie
View attachment 1002176

i agree with Brezzie, and if you look really close at the back it appears to have wavy lines that would have been caused by the silk ribbon that left the lines in the sticky stuff.

Upvote 0
Good eye on the details. I'm glad I didn't clean the sticky stuff off the back of it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back