Gold in KY.

not personally but you just need to do some research t see if any occurrences of gold have been found or if KY has any glacial drift maps i don't think the glaciers made it that far south . being KY is hilly and has rough terrain but it worth looking in to i read some were that only two states were not commercially mined for gold and i believe they were Kentucky and maybe Hawaii now i know that is not great info but research,research will pay off

There's a big deposit here but it'll be hard to get!

Attachments

• cfiles34838[1].jpg
    cfiles34838[1].jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,493
You must be young guys and gals. The Buzzard always said, "There in no gold in KY. It is the only state where there are no placer gold deposits due to its geology". :read2:

There is gold in ky I have been finding it for the last 2 months in several different locations. Going to try a new spot here soon that is non glaciated. Have 3 different sources from 3 different times that all lead to the same spot.

Finally gettin the chance to check out the spot in ky that is supposed to have gold comin out of the hills. First heard about it from my grandpa 5 years ago, then another old man i was fishing with told me about the same spot about a year later. Two months ago a game warden told me he ran into an old man with a vial of gold and where he said he found it just happened to be the exact same spot i heard about it before. So next thursday I am going down there with my boat and checking every stream on my topo map to see where its coming from. The spot is about 100 miles away from any glacial deposits and is near three faults. Has anyone else ever heard of gold in ky other than glacial?

I can say that there is positively silver in ky! Even though the geologist say there is not. I have some old documents that say there is gold in a northern part of KY that was mined in the 1700s, and then there was Johnathan Swift (see the subtitle under legends) who was in KY in 1760-1769 taking out enough to buy ships! The mine is of course lost but he also found gold--usually gold is in silver and the other way around too.

So go for it! Hope you have a pan and know how to use it...if you need help PM me I'll see if we can borrow a friends dredge.

Yes, there is gold in KY. I have seen it myself and because of the geology its not hard to get either. Look in the northern counties along the Ohio river, east of ripley Oh. (the name of town on the ky side for some reason escapes me but right across from ripley) Any stream heading to the ohio river. Also plan to do alot of crevicing.......ALOT. Find an area where the river runs over flat sheets of limestone and get all the dirt you can out of those cracks. Also dig where the lime stone ends and pours off into deep pools. Dig out those pools until you hit limestone again and crevice that area. You never need to be in more than a couple inches of water to find gold in Ky. Hope this helps.

Ian

PS also try the areas directly across from Scioto County Ohio on the KY side.

I'm a member of the GPAA and live in Kentucky. Even a little color in the pan is better than not having any place close to prospect. I also think we need a Kentucky chapter of the GPAA and am willing to do the work to make on happen if enough prospectors show a intrest? I have found some color in the pan right here in central Kentucky. Small color but color non the less. If you think you want to join together give me a email at [email protected].

I'm going out today and Saturday to prospect around Green River. I'll post my results when I get back.

Graw said:
Has anyone here found Gold in the state of KY, ? --- Thanks -- Graw

I was watching that prospecting show on the outdoor channel about two weeks ago or so and the guy on there paned gold out of the creek bed on Pine Mountain , He said he wasn't sure where they where right about conditions not being right for gold being formed in Ky or it was pushed in by the Glaciers of the last ice age , but he sure enough got gold weather it was staged for the show or he really paned it out I can not say . But that question has always been on my mind also so when I saw the show I realized if the glacier pushed gold that far south in KY it should be all in here esp settled in the low valleys one would think .
John

I am back from my prospecting trip. Here is my report. Like most prospectors I should not reveal the location of my intrest, due to claim jumping. I was 323 yards up Wilson creek, from the main road, about one mile from the rear of the lake in Taylor County. There is a drain feeding the creek that travels a mile or so up into the hills. Gold would be washed down and drop down into a depression. I panned about twenty pans and have determined the following;
If someone shot a deer and while attempting to recover said deer, by grasping the antler, said deer bolted to life, ripping the gold ring of the hunters hand. Ran off up stream, with the gold ring firmly attached to it's antlers. Never recovered and died in the stream and remained there until the antler dissolved releasing the ring, which was reduced to nugget or smaller parts, by storm and wave action along with ATV traffic in the creek. Traveling down to the general location I was prospecting. I might have a better chance of finding gold in that area. The only gold color anything I saw was the label on the bottle of Bud select I nursed. I'll be looking for another spot soon. End of report.

Hi Sniper,
Thanks for the follow up report on your efforts, I enjoyed your explanation of how gold might get into the spot. I've panned & now sluiced several places like the one you described. This summer I prospected on a creek that I know has gold in it but the spot I worked just did not have any in it. I dug deep, moved some serious boulders even came across my first hollow spots between boulders but not even a speck of gold was to be had. On the internet there are lots of how to pan sites. I found one that a fellow from Oregon put together for new folks and it is very nice. I have it as a pdf file, tried to attach it to this post however that type of file is not postable on this site. The Manual the fellow put together is really very nice which is why I saved it. If you would like a copy of it PM me with your email address and I will send it along.

The first time I found gold my heart was really pounding, even for just a few flakes in the pan. That usually happens each time one finds gold. When I hit some small nuggets this year it really pounded and it is still a thrill to look at my little sample bottle of gold from this year. With the price of gold where it is I'd guess the "spot value" of my gold from this year is about $1,000.00. Not bad for a hobby.

Regards and good luck, 63bkpkr

Well now, we need to start the Kentucky GPAA chapter of the Frustrated Prospectors with intent to kick Tom Massey in the but so hard his brother fells it. I want to hear from someone who can bonify his gold found in Kentucky! Why was your post from California? Love ya the same, but we here in Kentucky are frustrated and the likes of Tom Massey coming nearly into the state and pulling a picker from the pan is crawling in my craw. I want to hear from more of you who want to find gold so speak up or for ever hold you piece!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back