Gold Gas Myth or truth?

About 30 years ago (more or less) I read some information about how silver and gold deposits caused the greenery in its immediate area to be stunted and discolored. It was thought that large caches of the same metals would possibly cause the same reactions. One train of thought was that the metals gave off some type of gaseous anomaly, and another was the large specific metal concentrations changed the pH balance in the soils in the immediate areas.

As far as toxic gas concentrations, I've never heard of it. :icon_study:

There is a hydrocarbon gas associated with coal mines. It's commonly called "methane" but I think it's actually a different hydrocarbon of higher molecular weight. Anyway the trick is it can accumulate in low spots and displace the air you need to breathe. This would only be a danger if there is a coal deposit near the gold mine. The two common precautions are to carry a candle or a caged canary. If either dies you have a problem. Again this is not gold directly but a generalised mining problem.

Chip V.

chipveres said:
There is a hydrocarbon gas associated with coal mines. It's commonly called "methane" but I think it's actually a different hydrocarbon of higher molecular weight. Anyway the trick is it can accumulate in low spots and displace the air you need to breathe. This would only be a danger if there is a coal deposit near the gold mine. The two common precautions are to carry a candle or a caged canary. If either dies you have a problem. Again this is not gold directly but a generalised mining problem.

Chip V.

Yes living in the coal regin I am Familiar
with Methane & Yes "Black damp"
mayalso be found in Mines & Caves
along With Other Toxic Gasses due to Bats & Other
things. So be Carefull. But the gold has nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackdamp

ACUTE EXPOSURE TO GOLD MINE DUST
http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/26/6/663

Shortstack is right. Read De Re Metallica by Georgius Agricola (you can find a copy free to download on my website 1oro1.com). european Miners as far back as the Middle Ages knew that the presence of large ore bodies did certain things to the plant life nearby. I don't think that applies to caches however. The minerals involved are mostly removed during the smelting and refining process (arsenic and mercury).

The biggest things you have to worry about when opening up an old cave that has been sealed a long time are:
1. Bad air. It will kill you before you know what happened.
2. Histoplasmosis. A fungus that grows in dank sealed caves/mines. Google the name and learn about it. IT may be the reason for all the cursed treasure stories.

Best-Mike

If gold and silver is in an airtight jar it is possable to have a problem upon opening it if you get the first whiff. It has to do with the processing. It had to do with arsenic and mercury. So when opening that jar, hold it away from you.

I'm with jimb on this. In a sealed container the toxicity level of the air with gold coins can reach lethal proportions over a period of time. As jimb said this is due to the way the metal was processed, arsenic, mercury, and cyanide can be present and deadly. If you locate such a stash just be sure to let it air out a few minutes after you break it open, and it should dissipate rapidly. Good luck on your find!

I recall hearing stories of people in the Los Animas area of Colorado locating caches of gold by going out and looking for a green (I think) glow from gasses given off by the cache, or long gone family spirits whichever. Never could find anything further than some stories handed down or any kind of verifiable facts on this.

I personally have never seen those colored jets, but I have been shown two pictures of what was claimed to be such things. They looked good. Kind of eerie.

Those of y'all that know me, know i don't go for the hocum crap, but I'll reserve judgement on this one until I see more evidence.

Mike

gollum said:
I personally have never seen those colored jets, but I have been shown two pictures of what was claimed to be such things. They looked good. Kind of eerie.

Those of y'all that know me, know i don't go for the hocum crap, but I'll reserve judgement on this one until I see more evidence.

Mike

Mike do you have any direction to articles on this phenomenon (I guess that's what you'd call it). If I'm not mistaken there were some articles on them back in 99 or 2000.

I'm basically the same way. Most of the polaroid stuff I see I can pretty debunk as dirty rollers not pulling the film out in one continuous motion lens flare or light leaks etc etc. But this has dug up some interest! I'd be interested in hearing others opinions or research into this.

There's a guy I met that is sold on using Long Range Locator devices and swears that any piece of gold leaves some sort of 'charged field' even after you remove the object. He's also in to dowsing so I had to take that with a grain of salt.

Wow, when I think of all those poor fellows who spend day after day locked up tight with tons and tons of the yellow stuff at Ft. Knox. :D

Good morning: since I feel ornery this morning, I will jump in here. Yes, by following up stories of colored lights emanating from the ground, I have found all types of metals.

A crude example of this "gas" is when you first dig up a silver, copper, iron, or whatever metal, it generally has a distinctive odor, No? It is a metallic odor, not As, Hg, etc.

Now just what do you think causes this odor?

Somewhere here in TN, is a picture of a large cache that I found by homing in on this gas factor. It consists of my share of 8 mule loads of 8 Reales that was hijacked, buried, and never recovered since they hung the bandits..

Shall we get into it?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crosse de -->

GOOD MORNING SWR:

After the fiasco in said leads, I am surprised to see you still posting against the possibility of a luminous gas being produced.

I was especially amused by your reference to the posts in -->

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,62201.0.html

Especially on posts #"5" - 11 - 14 - "18" - 39 - etc..

Quote SWR: "I choose not to believe Jose's story about an Indian who had been seeing some lights over the years, that some mule-train buried (reason not given) bunches of silver coins in the 1800s. I do not see one old torn-up photograph as being proof. You may, I don't."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tayopa -- I agree , that is your privilege and right, but to yourself, inferring that I am lying etc publically is neither professional nor acceptable.

Since you have refused to accept my challenge, I can only assume that your are reacting as Pavlov's dogs did and not from applied intelligent thought, but then, what is new?
Tayopa==
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SWR--- So...does this mean you are going to present some reliable (solid) proof that buried treasures (gold/silver/diamonds) give off toxic/visible gases, produce various colored flames and/or lights that are hovering over the treasures?

Furthermore, if your challenge consists of me going to Mexico to search for those elusive lights, forget-about-it. If it were true, you or others would have already pictures of these mythical events to submit as proof.

PS - debate the issue and not the poster, eh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tayopa --If you haven't enough interest to see for yourself why should I bother? Such as calling me a "LIAR" on my statement that I had found this treasure with a fire and posting a picture??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This will do for starters, yes "luminous" gases ? from buried metals DO exist, but finding the source is extremely difficult. as mentioned above.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Definitely read all of the leads that SWR etc. posted.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back