Gold found in worked out Park

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, Got out today and did my usual detecting. It was raining all day so I have been wet and muddy all day. I started the day off by going to a park I never been to that dates back to the 1880S. It was slow like I thought it would be. Tons of garbage and pop tops everywere. Me and my brother spent about 2 hrs in one section of woods trying to find a spot that still contained coins. Well the coins were minimal. We found some clad and my brother found 1 Wheaties. About 45 minutes into the hunt I was digging pulltabs every other signal. I got a plus 23 and decided to dig. Dug down one inch and saw the gleam of gold. I was shocked to find it with the million other pulltabs around. I guess my experience and knowing my machine was the key. Just the slight difference in the v.d.i is what you look for on the unit.

It turned out to be a nice womens wedding band that the wife took? for a baby finger ring. The woman must have been small because it barely fit my baby finger. And I am not a big guy. It says in the band RTH to VAH Always 4/1/72. It is marked 14 kt also. It was nice to find gold today.

I polished it and it turned out looking brand new. Didn't get alot of wear from what I can tell. Managed one merc and a wheat last night at a old picnic grove. I also hit a house today that they tore down up the street from my house. I had some expectation for this yard when I looked at it but it turned up pretty dry accept for the toy truck and some clad.

There was a set of woods behind the house so we decided to venture. We got about 50yrds in and noticed a old road going through the woods. We decided to walk it and see if we could locate a old cellar hole. Sure enough there was one back there. We couldn't believe it. We were just talking about it and all the sudden we found a old structure still half standing.

The place looked very old. Give me your guys opinion to the age through this desciption I will leave here. It was about 15 by 10 or so. It was solid red brick with mortar all over the red bricks to hold it together. Then there were beams of wood like log or timber every to or 3 feet flat flush with the outside like they were used for the support or the frame. It was weird. I never saw a structure like this one. There were stone walls built all around the place. It was tough to hunt with all the decaying tree's that have fallen over the years.

Between me and my brother it only turned up 3 wheat's from the late 30S and 2 from the 40S. My brother also picked up 3 marbles that looked like the same time period. But there was nothing old around. We hit it good to. Don't think anyone even knew it was back there. It wasn't around nothing but in the middle of the woods. Some relics from the place and that was it. It was bare for some reason. I really thought we would hit maybe just one old coin even if they were the type who just never lost anything.

Let me know what you guys think. Anyone out there know about the age maybe of a structure built the way I explained. It definitely looked 1800S. Hope you guys like the pics and story.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• dfx gold 1.jpg
    dfx gold 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Relics.jpg
    Relics.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0
Nice finds Jer! Keep hitting that spot in the woods. Maybe bring a rake with you and clear some of the ground before hunting, just to get you closer to the ground and make it easier to dig. Good luck!!

Thanks guys will do. It really takes alot to work a spot out. But you guys get the idea when I say worked out. Like you are hearing more threshold throuout the day than beeps. I classify that as nearly worked out. There's always something left behind though. Or something always turns up off of an angle and you can here it just slightly better and pick it up.

HH Jer

JerDFX said

"It was about 15 by 10 or so. It was solid red brick with mortar all over the red bricks to hold it together. Then there were beams of wood like log or timber every to or 3 feet flat flush with the outside like they were used for the support or the frame. It was weird. I never saw a structure like this one. There were stone walls built all around the place. It was tough to hunt with all the decaying tree's that have fallen over the years."

Without a picture it sounds like the timbers were put up to support the upper structure which isn't there anymore. It could have been Decorative but most older buildings of this type were utilitarian in nature. In other words they didn't do a lot of decorative work especially with heavy timber. Make sure you find the Privy. Also can you tell where the door was. Was it a door or was it a larger opening. this could have been the carriage house too. sounds like a great site. wish I was there.HH

Hi Floater, This site had a huge bottle pit. All newer glass on top. Saw some older 0ne's mixed in. This story is strange due to the fact I went to detect a house maybe built in 1920 that was torn down. I got to the site and it had a big back yard. There was a set of woods right behind the house. There were 2 big pine tree's back there usually were you find a cellar hole. But instead there was a huge pit full of bottles.

After I decided the yard just didn't have any thing really I decided to take a walk through the woods. I noticed a old road in the woods dirt. I thought it may just be a fire trail. But after I walked it for about 200 yrds I found this cellar hole down there. I don't think that this cellar hole is associated with the house that was there. The cellar hole has to be way older than the home that was not in the woods. But it seemed like they shared this pit. The pit wasn't near the cellar hole but actually near the house that was torn down. The cellar hole looked like it was occupied into the 40S. There was a well there not the old stone type but a newer looking cement one in the ground with a pipe coming out of it and going into the wall of the cellar hole. There was another little masonry brick thing used I think to store there food. But that also looked newer. Looked like some work was done around the 40S. Hardley any garbage at the site. Really no bullets. Just appeared to be really old. May have to walk around the place more to find that one old coin maybe they lost. I'll have to pick up a digital camera witch will probably get destroyed out in the Field with all the dirt and mud I seem to track every were. But I have some cool pictures of some sites that would look neat on the forum for people to just look at. I really thought something would have turned up at this spot. But sometimes it takes 2 or 3 trips just to find that one coin they lost. The place had plenty of water for a home because there was a creek right in front of it.

Thanks for giving me your theory of what the site may be in age. Has to be from the 1800S. If nothing turns up may be a good idea to start digging in that bottle pit. I enjoy doing that to. Birthday coming up in a few weeks maybe the wife will get me a digital camera.

HH Jeremy

JerDFX. Camera would be nice But if you go into paint and just do a simple line layout survey would help. also dont forget to go to the corners of the stone fence areas and hunt there also look for a section of the stone fence /wall that is lower or inline with maybe an old foot path that is grown over. Alot of this should be visible right now before the spring growing kicks in. you only have a small window here before the natural vegetation really kicks in to high. also I would hunt the creek bed area along its sides maybe 200 ft in either direction from where the structure was. I dont think you have even scratched the surface here yet. Good Luck and hope your Birthday is great. HH

Thanks for the tips floater. You are right time is limited with the vegetation coming real soon. I will do that this weekend possibly. Go back to the site hit the creek bed and all around the stone walls and do a more thorough hunt of the area. This may also sound crazy but every year I go detecting on my birthday I make a great find. One year I found a barber half. Last year I found a beautiful opal and garnet ring. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Hopefully you'll see me here that day with a great find to show you all. Cellar holes are hard to find even with maps so I hope maybe this one will turn up one old keeper. It gave up 3 wheat's so maybe there is something else around. May not have hit the right spot. It was very tough to determine were the front and back yards were. There was a flower bed there that I checked so I know someone was there at one time and planted them. They looked like they put a good bit of time into the place so I would have thought at least a few old buttons would turn up. Maybe this trip thoe. I'll keep you guys posted on the spot.

Thanks again man take care Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back