Gold and silver from the swimming area, war nickel and minie ball from a home near the park and a nice old lock

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTE: This took a while to get posted because I had problems loading pictures. Thanks to all who replied with helpful suggestions.

DAY 1
I went to a home I have detected partly in the past. The last time I was there I found 3 war nickels and I was hoping for another good day. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 32 coins with a face value of $2.35, a minie ball, a war nickel, 2 wheaties, 2 pocket knives, 2 toy cars, a Fuller cap, a “Swiss” penny (a zinc Lincoln that looks like a piece of Swiss cheese), a knife blade, can slaw, foil and tabs.

DSCN2941.jpeg

The biggest surprise was the minie ball. It is a .69 caliber that looks like it was originally a drop, but has been badly beaten up in the yard. The war nickel is in bad shape, but it is a 1943 P, the most popular date as far as my finds go. The wheaties are both 1944. The little greenish yellow car is a Tootsietoy Roadster made in the 1950s I believe. The little cap is from a Fuller Brush Company product and appears to be lead. The Fuller Company began in 1906.

DSCN2942.jpeg

Not a bad day and I still have part of the side and a tiny back yard to do to finish this permission.

DAY 2
I went back to the dry swimming area to see what else might be hiding. I increased the sensitivity of the machine to get a little deeper in the sand and it did help because some of the better finds were deeper. This time I spent my entire time in the swimming area and did not get back to the boat launch so fewer coins and more jewelry which worked out well. In my 5.5 hours swingin the ATPro I found 20 coins with a face value of $0.97, a nice batch of jewelry, a mangled glasses frame, lots of sinkers, fishing swivels, a few tabs and some foil. I did dig out some Bobbie pins and nails to clear the way for some of the smaller stuff.

DSCN2943.jpeg

There is a nice assortment of cheapie jewelry including earrings, 2 earring backs, a kiddie ring with a butterfly and part of another kiddie ring with flowers.

DSCN2944.jpeg

2 pieces of jewelry are 14k gold. There is a wire earring with a red garnet dangle. It has 2 beads that oddly enough are brass and have discolored the surrounding gold. The second is a horn pendant which also has been discolored by a brass piece, a ring for the chain. It amazes me that they put brass on a gold pendant or earring. But I guess it is no worse than putting glass and CZ stones in an 18k ring or earring and I have found a number of those over the years. I guess they do it to keep the cost down.

DSCN2945.jpeg

I also found 3 pieces of silver jewelry. Another tiny earring back, another tiny cz stud and a hollow hoop earring. The hoop was deep in a hole with another piece of jewelry and I miscalculated and ended up cutting it in half with my shovel.

DSCN2946.jpeg

The most unusual piece was this pendant of a skull in a top hat with a cigar. It has the weight of silver and looks like silver, but it is unmarked. I’ll have to test it. This is probably my favorite find of the day.

DSCN2948.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the new school permission to see what else might be there. I found a merc and a war nickel last time so I had high hopes for this trip.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 61 coins with a face value of $4.09, 2 wheaties (1955 and 193?), a Girl Scout pin, a 2007 Chuckey Cheese token, a kiddie plated ring and a half, a whistle key fob, a modern bullet, a sprayer tip, a padlock with a brass chain attached, a toy jeep, aluminum fence wire, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw and a whole can.

DSCN2950.jpeg

DSCN2951.jpeg

The sprayer tip is brass and marked #10 D B SMITH & CO UTICA NY. They have been producing sprayers since 1888. This tip might be from a regular pump sprayer or an Indian tank. I can’t find a match on line and they do still produce sprayers today, but most of those are not made of metal.

DSCN2950.jpeg

The coolest find was the lock. It still had the chain attached, but it broke in my bag. The lock is in great shape and really doesn’t look like it was in the ground that long. It is a small sized YALE lock with the YALE AND TOWNE clover logo on the back. From what I can find it looks like it was made between 1890 and 1915.

DSCN2952.jpeg

DSCN2953.jpeg

Having to stay home for deliveries and service calls for repairs made it harder to get out this week, but I got the ok to go back to the scout camp next week if I get the time, so that’s a good thing.

The weather is turning cold with a chance of snow here in the mountains. With the weather and preparations for holiday visitors I’m not sure if I will make it out this week or not. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• DSCN2947.jpeg
    DSCN2947.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Upvote 26
NOTE: This took a while to get posted because I had problems loading pictures. Thanks to all who replied with helpful suggestions.

DAY 1
I went to a home I have detected partly in the past. The last time I was there I found 3 war nickels and I was hoping for another good day. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 32 coins with a face value of $2.35, a minie ball, a war nickel, 2 wheaties, 2 pocket knives, 2 toy cars, a Fuller cap, a “Swiss” penny (a zinc Lincoln that looks like a piece of Swiss cheese), a knife blade, can slaw, foil and tabs.

View attachment 2121134

The biggest surprise was the minie ball. It is a .69 caliber that looks like it was originally a drop, but has been badly beaten up in the yard. The war nickel is in bad shape, but it is a 1943 P, the most popular date as far as my finds go. The wheaties are both 1944. The little greenish yellow car is a Tootsietoy Roadster made in the 1950s I believe. The little cap is from a Fuller Brush Company product and appears to be lead. The Fuller Company began in 1906.

View attachment 2121123

Not a bad day and I still have part of the side and a tiny back yard to do to finish this permission.

DAY 2
I went back to the dry swimming area to see what else might be hiding. I increased the sensitivity of the machine to get a little deeper in the sand and it did help because some of the better finds were deeper. This time I spent my entire time in the swimming area and did not get back to the boat launch so fewer coins and more jewelry which worked out well. In my 5.5 hours swingin the ATPro I found 20 coins with a face value of $0.97, a nice batch of jewelry, a mangled glasses frame, lots of sinkers, fishing swivels, a few tabs and some foil. I did dig out some Bobbie pins and nails to clear the way for some of the smaller stuff.

View attachment 2121124

There is a nice assortment of cheapie jewelry including earrings, 2 earring backs, a kiddie ring with a butterfly and part of another kiddie ring with flowers.

View attachment 2121125

2 pieces of jewelry are 14k gold. There is a wire earring with a red garnet dangle. It has 2 beads that oddly enough are brass and have discolored the surrounding gold. The second is a horn pendant which also has been discolored by a brass piece, a ring for the chain. It amazes me that they put brass on a gold pendant or earring. But I guess it is no worse than putting glass and CZ stones in an 18k ring or earring and I have found a number of those over the years. I guess they do it to keep the cost down.

View attachment 2121126

I also found 3 pieces of silver jewelry. Another tiny earring back, another tiny cz stud and a hollow hoop earring. The hoop was deep in a hole with another piece of jewelry and I miscalculated and ended up cutting it in half with my shovel.

View attachment 2121127

The most unusual piece was this pendant of a skull in a top hat with a cigar. It has the weight of silver and looks like silver, but it is unmarked. I’ll have to test it. This is probably my favorite find of the day.

View attachment 2121122

DAY 3
I went back to the new school permission to see what else might be there. I found a merc and a war nickel last time so I had high hopes for this trip.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 61 coins with a face value of $4.09, 2 wheaties (1955 and 193?), a Girl Scout pin, a 2007 Chuckey Cheese token, a kiddie plated ring and a half, a whistle key fob, a modern bullet, a sprayer tip, a padlock with a brass chain attached, a toy jeep, aluminum fence wire, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw and a whole can.

View attachment 2121129

View attachment 2121130

The sprayer tip is brass and marked #10 D B SMITH & CO UTICA NY. They have been producing sprayers since 1888. This tip might be from a regular pump sprayer or an Indian tank. I can’t find a match on line and they do still produce sprayers today, but most of those are not made of metal.

View attachment 2121133

The coolest find was the lock. It still had the chain attached, but it broke in my bag. The lock is in great shape and really doesn’t look like it was in the ground that long. It is a small sized YALE lock with the YALE AND TOWNE clover logo on the back. From what I can find it looks like it was made between 1890 and 1915.

View attachment 2121131

View attachment 2121132

Having to stay home for deliveries and service calls for repairs made it harder to get out this week, but I got the ok to go back to the scout camp next week if I get the time, so that’s a good thing.

The weather is turning cold with a chance of snow here in the mountains. With the weather and preparations for holiday visitors I’m not sure if I will make it out this week or not. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Good to see you were able to get the picture up loading sorted out.
Well done again on the recoveries and on the gold & silver items.

Regarding the gold with the brass parts.
It's a type of claim to make the ring/swivel stronger (which I can understand) though the centre balls being brass?
I have seen this before on jewelry and basically it's just a way of ripping off the consumer by using "Jewelers Manganese Bronze"
The metal looks like gold but is nothing but bronze alloy.

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 8.18.22 AM.png

Holy smokes, what a haul!!! That old lock is top notch. Very cool. I love that skull w/top hat. :icon_thumleft:
I could have used that Indian tank sprayer nozzle for my creation. LOL.
Congrats on some great finds,
MM

Attachments

• rb1.jpg
    rb1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Very nice thumbs up 👍. Found one of those girl scout badges underwater actually. Yours definitely looks better than mine that tumbled around a whole.

Congrats on all the goodies. I am glad I don’t recover that much stuff, as I am already running out of room around here😁.
If you are handy for the restoration and can find a wood Hamilton printers cabinet they are great display cabinets for metal detecting finds and 0.75 inch thick riker cases of finds. I'm almost done restoring mine. Was a lot of work. Mainly striping, sanding, body work, stain and polyurethane. Currently disassembling the divided drawers to remove ink dust full drawer liner. I'll probably post it at some point. These type of cabinets are very over built. Not like anything today...

Very nice bunch of finds. I love the skull pendant and the lock.

Swiss penny. That’s hilarious. :laughing7:
Thanks. I’m glad you liked the Swiss penny. I have a bout 3 gallons of them in the basement if you need any. I know they are worthless, I just have a hard time throwing them way.
Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

I know they are worthless, I just have a hard time throwing them way.
Oh I know the feeling. I've got plenty of "junk" finds that I still hold onto. (If I got rid of all the junk finds, I wouldn't have much left. 🙄 )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back