Gold and Silver falling ??

I am most certainly not into gold or silver as an investment. I prefer investments that actually WORK (these do not work, they sit there and hope that other people are willing to pay more). A working investment would be real estate (a piece of property that pays for itself, provides for its needs and maintenance, and gives a bit of cash every month with a fixed rate of 3.25% is about as sure fire a deal as you can get). Stocks are working investments. Bonds are working investments... Things that sit are speculations. Gold, Silver, Oil, Copper, so on. They don't do anything... That's not to say I do not have a bit of gold and silver laying around, I just do not figure it to be a significant part of my future economic security.

I am most certainly not into gold or silver as an investment. I prefer investments that actually WORK (these do not work, they sit there and hope that other people are willing to pay more). A working investment would be real estate (a piece of property that pays for itself, provides for its needs and maintenance, and gives a bit of cash every month with a fixed rate of 3.25% is about as sure fire a deal as you can get). Stocks are working investments. Bonds are working investments... Things that sit are speculations. Gold, Silver, Oil, Copper, so on. They don't do anything... That's not to say I do not have a bit of gold and silver laying around, I just do not figure it to be a significant part of my future economic security.

It kind of depends on your view of the world. If you are optimistic about the future of the global economy, then by all means invest in securities, bonds and income producing vehicles. If you are pessimistic about the future of the global economy, then gold is not a bad thing to hold. Unlike other commodities, it has a luster (couldn't resist) that doesn't tarnish as much when industry slows. Though gold is an important manufacturing component, its price in a troubled economy is buoyed by security concerns and the desire to hold a physical asset -- that buoying is not usually offset by a drop in industrial demand. Finally -- if you are very pessimistic about the continuation of our communities as a whole (including the supply chains and corporate food sourcing that keeps them running) -- then abandon the stocks, the bonds and the gold and stock up on SEEDS, AMMO, WATER PURIFICATION TABLETS and most importantly --- BOOKS - to study everything we don't know about how to survive in a post collapse world. There are a ton of awesome websites out there on survival tactics (google "post collapse world"). I personally like to take a balanced approach - some securities, some precious metals and a crate of worst case scenario supplies.

I make my living being an Optimist. While there may be hard times ahead (and there are always hard time ahead), I do not believe we are any more in line for a total collapse than we've been at any time in my life. My father was a believe in total collapse. He was preparing for it in the late 1960's. He's always had reason why the corrupt system was about to collapse, but somehow, we've tottered along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back