Glass?

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Hi guys, my daughter found this piece while looking for Indian relics. It is clear like glass, has the same density as glass. We are not sure if this is glass that was melted in a fire or what. Has unusual loops on the edges as can be seen in the pictures. Any input appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 160
Wow! That thing is bazaar. I've no clue at all what that thing would be? I've never seen melted glass looking like that. Where on earth was it found?

Upvote 0
That is very odd. Do you live anywhere near an old glass blowing factory? It looks like part of the recycle pile from such a place, which hadn't yet been fully melted down.

Upvote 0
This piece came up again during the holidays and wondered if there might be any new ideas. Thanks

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's glass not some weird crystal if it's glass I agree with nhbenz looks like left over glass trimming

Upvote 0
This was found in a farm field in a very unpopulated area. Twenty-some thousand people in the whole county. Five miles from edge of nearest small town. No structures on old platbooks within 400 yards.

Upvote 0
First let me say that I am no geologist, nor could I play one on TV. Having established my complete lack of credentials, I would offer that as a kid I collected and studied all kinds of rock formations, so the first thing that struck me was your reference to fire, which may be part of the answer. There are two types of natural glass; volcanic (the most common form being obsidian or "black glass"), and fulgurite which is the product of lightning striking the ground. The most common fulgurite examples you will see on the internet are the result of lightening strikes in sandy areas and they look nothing like this; however, there are many examples of fulgurite in different shapes and colors. Lightning strikes the ground at 3,000+ degrees F. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. It all depends on the mineral content at the point of impact. It is super heated, then immediately cooled by the rain which causes the "splattered" look. Again, this is only one possible answer. I would take this to the closest university with a good geology department and have them examine it to get the final answer. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't say where it was found.

Any chance you were in the path of the space shuttle disaster?

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back