Glass flask dug up today, old or modern??

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 500
I don't know if it is old or modern. But it is nice. It reminds me of flasks that Mad Dog used to come in (not that I ever drank it ;)).

Upvote 0
Could we see a closeup of the side of the neck and of the bottom?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ask and you shall Recieve!!!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0
The screw cap tells me it's not particularly old. The cork inserts were common on bottlecaps in the 1930s-1960s. After that they went to plastic insert liners. Prior to that they used glass, rubber or nothing.

The fact that the bottle has a numeral embossed on the bottom also tells me it's not all that old. I'd say that IF that bottle had been found on BLM land you would be allowed to keep it because it isn't significantly over 50 years old. Just my guess based on what I see. Seam lines are very important in dating bottles. Bubbles (seeds) are not quite as important, they merely indicate the quality of the glass and the manufacturing process. The shape of a cap is also a hint for dating. Notice the slight elevation to the cap? Modern day caps are flat. That one is somewhat raised in the center, something I believe is indicative of the 1940s-1950s. Probably a vodka or gin pint bottle--post Prohibition.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info TT, I have not studied bottles yet to understand the signs that help date it. ;D

Upvote 0
I have dug up local whisky bottles with screw caps that pre-date 1907.I can verify the age of them by the local merchants name on them and the fact that our area went dry in 1907!

Upvote 0
SWR said:
post-1930...pre-1960
I think this is about as close as your gonna get for the age on this particular bottle.

TreasureTales said:
The screw cap tells me it's not particularly old. The cork inserts were common on bottlecaps in the 1930s-1960s. After that they went to plastic insert liners. Prior to that they used glass, rubber or nothing.

The fact that the bottle has a numeral embossed on the bottom also tells me it's not all that old. I'd say that IF that bottle had been found on BLM land you would be allowed to keep it because it isn't significantly over 50 years old. Just my guess based on what I see. Seam lines are very important in dating bottles. Bubbles (seeds) are not quite as important, they merely indicate the quality of the glass and the manufacturing process. The shape of a cap is also a hint for dating. Notice the slight elevation to the cap? Modern day caps are flat. That one is somewhat raised in the center, something I believe is indicative of the 1940s-1950s. Probably a vodka or gin pint bottle--post Prohibition.
Good info. TT.

Upvote 0
It might be Mad Dog. (not that I ever...)

Attachments

• bum wine.jpg
    bum wine.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back