Glass ball with plant seeds embedded in it, Girl Scout ring, scout camp neckerchief slide and a pile of pegs

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the middle school and gridded another section on a hill above the ball field. The coins were good, but not much special and no goodies.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 131 coins with a face value of $7.65, part of a toy truck, a key, 2 wheaties, a cut penny, a copper rivet, a lead wheel weight, a white pendant, a glass ball, a piece of cheapie jewelry, a cut rifle cartridge, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, tabs, foil and pencil ends.

DSCN3423.jpeg

The best find this trip was probably the glass ball. It looks like it has 3 dandy lion seeds embedded in the glass. It has a groove that runs around it so I believe it had a wire in the groove and it was probably a pendant. It was on top of the ground in the grass and was an eyeball find. The rivet looks like an old one, but no way to tell how old it is since they still use them some today.

DSCN3424.jpeg

DSCN3425.jpeg

DAY 2
Back to the k to 8 school to work on the field some more. The last couple of trips I have found some goodies so fingers crossed I went hoping for some luck.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 126 coins with a face value of $9.22, 5 wheaties, an aluminum bar with exchangeable letters RE, a small decorative buckle (looks like it came from a pair of little girls patent leather shoes), a ring, the front plate of a 1930s padlock, a Coca Cola game tab, a railroad penny, a modern metal button, a peace sign earring, a toy truck, a clasp, an aluminum ring, part of an inflation needle, an ace bandage clip, aluminum bottle caps, tabs, foil and pencil ends. There is also an old stone working chisel in the middle of the junk box. I have found several like it over the years.

DSCN3428.jpeg

IMG_8970.jpeg

DSCN3429.jpeg

DSCN3430.jpeg

Early in the hunt I was working around a section of the old bleachers that had finally been cleared out when I popped a ring out of the clay soil. I had the right shape to be a small girl’s class ring. I was starting to get excited, it has been a while since I found my last class ring. The clay really sticks so I rubbed hard and I could see a hint of gold. I rubbed the stone and it was green, the same color as the stones in the old class rings when this was a k to 12 school. (The first class ring I ever found was from this school so I know what they look like.) I rubbed a little harder on the side and an outline appeared and I knew I didn’t have a class ring, I had a Girl Scout ring. My wife had one just like it when she was a Girl Scout. They were made in the 1950s (she got hers in the late 50s). When cleaned up you can see the 10k GOLD FILLED and a makers mark. Well it is at least a tiny bit gold, but I don’t count it in my gold count. It really had me going there for a couple of minutes.

DSCN3433.jpeg

DSCN3435.jpeg

The railroad penny is one that someone put on the tracks and a train ran over it. This one may have been squashed another way or was not centered on the tracks. You can still see part of Lincoln’s front and part of the date (19?). On the back you can see the upper right side of the Lincoln memorial and some of the letters around the edge of the penny.

DSCN3431.jpeg

DSCN3432.jpeg

I found Jack hiding in my finds box. I forgot about him when I got home and found him the next day when I was cleaning up. A Jack Skelington coffin pendant from the Nightmare Before Christmas.

DSCN3441.jpeg

I also found a pair of keys on a key ring that looked shiny and brand new. I had a hunch and tried the key on the lock on the gate they use to bring vehicles up on the field and it worked. I think the other key is to the old concession building they use to store sports equipment. I gave the keys to one of the custodians mowing the grass out front and he took them into the office. The principal was glad to get them back.

DAY 3
Summer camp is over and all the tents are down so it was time to go back to the scout camp. I will do a quick check of some of the sites to see what was lost this year. I checked the attendance at camp and picked sites I have not done for the past 2 years and that had the largest number of people occupying the site this last year to decide where to detect.

I covered one site and did a quick look at the edge of another in my 6 hours of swingin the CZ21. I found 116 coins with a face value of $12.97, 203 camp tent pegs, a Korean pot clap, 3 rope tensioners, a neckerchief slide, an Arrow of Light pin, a bolo tie end, a mess kit wing nut, sinkers, a few tabs, foil and melted aluminum from the campfires.

DSCN3436.jpeg

IMG_8981.jpeg

The neckerchief slide is an old type. It was on the surface and in excellent shape. It has a molded front and a ferrous metal strip in the back. I have found them before and the metal strip is usually very rusty or rusted away from the time in the ground. If I am interpreting the guide I have correctly this slide was produced from the mid 1970s to 1982. I believe someone purchased this on eBay from a former scout and lost it recently.

DSCN3437.jpeg

DAY 4
I went back to the park and did another dry swimming area section. This one had more coins and lots of foil, but not much else. In 4 hours of swingin the ATPro I found 15 coins with a face value of $1.23, a ring, an earring back, some fishing gear, a selfie stick retainer, sinkers, a few small bits of nonferrous metal, tabs and lots of foil.

DSCN3438.jpeg

The ring looks nice but you can tell it is not a goodie. It is marked SU CH CZ.

DSCN3439.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a penny on the ground and a quarter in a coin return. The coinstar produced change for a change, 4 pennies and 2 dimes with one of the pennies being a 1942 wheatie.

DSCN3440.jpeg

I found 2 new little friends. A nice little garter snake at the scout camp. Poor guy was really trying hard to get away and he took off like a shot when I let him go. The other was a nice butterfly on the damp sand in the park swimming area. He is a red admiral.

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8986.jpeg

So nothing super this week. No silver and only a trace amount of gold on the gold fill ring. Maybe next week will be better. You never know until you dig. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 25
DAY 1
I went back to the middle school and gridded another section on a hill above the ball field. The coins were good, but not much special and no goodies.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 131 coins with a face value of $7.65, part of a toy truck, a key, 2 wheaties, a cut penny, a copper rivet, a lead wheel weight, a white pendant, a glass ball, a piece of cheapie jewelry, a cut rifle cartridge, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, tabs, foil and pencil ends.

View attachment 2164555

The best find this trip was probably the glass ball. It looks like it has 3 dandy lion seeds embedded in the glass. It has a groove that runs around it so I believe it had a wire in the groove and it was probably a pendant. It was on top of the ground in the grass and was an eyeball find. The rivet looks like an old one, but no way to tell how old it is since they still use them some today.

View attachment 2164554

View attachment 2164556

DAY 2
Back to the k to 8 school to work on the field some more. The last couple of trips I have found some goodies so fingers crossed I went hoping for some luck.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 126 coins with a face value of $9.22, 5 wheaties, an aluminum bar with exchangeable letters RE, a small decorative buckle (looks like it came from a pair of little girls patent leather shoes), a ring, the front plate of a 1930s padlock, a Coca Cola game tab, a railroad penny, a modern metal button, a peace sign earring, a toy truck, a clasp, an aluminum ring, part of an inflation needle, an ace bandage clip, aluminum bottle caps, tabs, foil and pencil ends. There is also an old stone working chisel in the middle of the junk box. I have found several like it over the years.

View attachment 2164557

View attachment 2164558

View attachment 2164559

View attachment 2164560

Early in the hunt I was working around a section of the old bleachers that had finally been cleared out when I popped a ring out of the clay soil. I had the right shape to be a small girl’s class ring. I was starting to get excited, it has been a while since I found my last class ring. The clay really sticks so I rubbed hard and I could see a hint of gold. I rubbed the stone and it was green, the same color as the stones in the old class rings when this was a k to 12 school. (The first class ring I ever found was from this school so I know what they look like.) I rubbed a little harder on the side and an outline appeared and I knew I didn’t have a class ring, I had a Girl Scout ring. My wife had one just like it when she was a Girl Scout. They were made in the 1950s (she got hers in the late 50s). When cleaned up you can see the 10k GOLD FILLED and a makers mark. Well it is at least a tiny bit gold, but I don’t count it in my gold count. It really had me going there for a couple of minutes.

View attachment 2164563

View attachment 2164564

The railroad penny is one that someone put on the tracks and a train ran over it. This one may have been squashed another way or was not centered on the tracks. You can still see part of Lincoln’s front and part of the date (19?). On the back you can see the upper right side of the Lincoln memorial and some of the letters around the edge of the penny.

View attachment 2164561

View attachment 2164562

I found Jack hiding in my finds box. I forgot about him when I got home and found him the next day when I was cleaning up. A Jack Skelington coffin pendant from the Nightmare Before Christmas.

View attachment 2164573

I also found a pair of keys on a key ring that looked shiny and brand new. I had a hunch and tried the key on the lock on the gate they use to bring vehicles up on the field and it worked. I think the other key is to the old concession building they use to store sports equipment. I gave the keys to one of the custodians mowing the grass out front and he took them into the office. The principal was glad to get them back.

DAY 3
Summer camp is over and all the tents are down so it was time to go back to the scout camp. I will do a quick check of some of the sites to see what was lost this year. I checked the attendance at camp and picked sites I have not done for the past 2 years and that had the largest number of people occupying the site this last year to decide where to detect.

I covered one site and did a quick look at the edge of another in my 6 hours of swingin the CZ21. I found 116 coins with a face value of $12.97, 203 camp tent pegs, a Korean pot clap, 3 rope tensioners, a neckerchief slide, an Arrow of Light pin, a bolo tie end, a mess kit wing nut, sinkers, a few tabs, foil and melted aluminum from the campfires.

View attachment 2164565

View attachment 2164570

The neckerchief slide is an old type. It was on the surface and in excellent shape. It has a molded front and a ferrous metal strip in the back. I have found them before and the metal strip is usually very rusty or rusted away from the time in the ground. If I am interpreting the guide I have correctly this slide was produced from the mid 1970s to 1982. I believe someone purchased this on eBay from a former scout and lost it recently.

View attachment 2164566

DAY 4
I went back to the park and did another dry swimming area section. This one had more coins and lots of foil, but not much else. In 4 hours of swingin the ATPro I found 15 coins with a face value of $1.23, a ring, an earring back, some fishing gear, a selfie stick retainer, sinkers, a few small bits of nonferrous metal, tabs and lots of foil.

View attachment 2164567

View attachment 2164568

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a penny on the ground and a quarter in a coin return. The coinstar produced change for a change, 4 pennies and 2 dimes with one of the pennies being a 1942 wheatie.

View attachment 2164569

I found 2 new little friends. A nice little garter snake at the scout camp. Poor guy was really trying hard to get away and he took off like a shot when I let him go. The other was a nice butterfly on the damp sand in the park swimming area. He is a red admiral.

View attachment 2164571

View attachment 2164572

So nothing super this week. No silver and only a trace amount of gold on the gold fill ring. Maybe next week will be better. You never know until you dig. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
great finds all around and love that class ring, thanks for posting

I guess your snake is an eastern, here they have more distinct stripes. And those little ones bite you they will, and sting it does.

That glass has to be 2 halves glued together. I wonder what seed they were preserving?

I like the samduk tool. I wonder what the specif use was?

You had a very busy day it looks. U did very WELL

DAY 1

View attachment 2164555

View attachment 2164554

View attachment 2164556

DAY 2

View attachment 2164557

View attachment 2164558

View attachment 2164559

View attachment 2164560

View attachment 2164563

View attachment 2164564

View attachment 2164561

View attachment 2164562

View attachment 2164573

DAY 3

View attachment 2164565

View attachment 2164570

View attachment 2164566

DAY 4

View attachment 2164567

View attachment 2164568

NON DETECTOR FINDS

View attachment 2164569

View attachment 2164571

View attachment 2164572

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

A nice variety of finds, it doesn't have to be old or silver to be a cool find, everything tells its own story.

Thanks for the stone working tool ID. I've found a few too and thought they were tools but not sure what used for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back