Glacial Gold ore? Questions, geologist or enthusiast please help!

cwwj123

Feb 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey guys, so I live in MN. We have "Glacial till Gold" it's very fine crushed gold. It's from the greenbelt in Canada. Now, my question is this: if it's from ore, is it possible that there is uncrushed ore that survived? I mean, I see large boulders that seem to have been displaced by glacial movement/glacial rivers. is this a fools errand to collect quartz/interesting ore to sample near glacial deposits? Thanks for any advice/input! I have a home made metal mortar pestle i'm itching to sample with :laughing7:

Absolutely.

I read a story once about two brothers that owned a gravel pit in Ohio. One day about quitting time their crusher plugged, and when they investigated found a large rock shot through with gold causing the trouble.

They agreed to leave it until the next morning. The next day one brother doesn't show, the other one discovers the gold is gone, and so is his brother.

Good Luck.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply! I know a decent spot that's about 30ft. deep. Found a 5oz piece of yellow quartz. No visible gold in it, but I figure if there's one piece I could probably find more! I just didn't want to go on a fools errand; would have just hit up the stream. I've been looking up greenrock ore trying to get used to what to look for. Thanks again for the reply Gold Maven!

I'll let ya guys know what goes on. I have about 100lbs of paydirt sitting around already.. lol now big rocks will laden my storage unit.. mwhaha! lol gold fever is a wonderful thing.

Greenstone is pretty soft and might already have been ground down most of it at least. (depending on if you are close or far from Canada, of course)
I think it'd more work then worthwhile, better pan out the gold that the ice already has set free!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back