Giovanni DeSimone

Sticks1

Jan 12, 2010
I purchased this pitcher ( I think this is what it is ), for $1.50 and really purchased it because it had a Picasso look to it. It appears to be by Italian artist Giovanni DeSimone, who was a friend of Picasso and was trained by him. There is a number on the bottom of it that I am not sure if it's a date or item number. Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean and if there is any value to it? The measurements are 10" high and 24" around the base.

Attachments

• DSCN2604.JPG
    DSCN2604.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 919
  • DSCN2608.JPG
    DSCN2608.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSCN2609.JPG
    DSCN2609.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 813
I'm guessing that's a "27", so it'd have to be an item number.

"Giovanni De Simone, born in 1930, opened his studio in Palermo, Sicily soon after the end of World War II. He had worked and studied for a while under the direction of Pablo Picasso and Picasso's influence remained with him until he died in 1991, Giovanni had retired ten years earlier (1981).

His daughters, Rosita, Susanna, and Margherita took over the factory. The De Simone factory closed its doors for good in September of 2008."

http://italianpotterymarks.freeforums.org/post251.html

"I believe that, in large part, the company closed because of the U.S. ban on its importation due to a belief that its products contained lead and cadmium. The company had fought the Food and Drug Administration's allegations for years but to no avail. Many of De Simone's shipments to the U.S. were confiscated at the docks.
De Simone pottery, which has always been collectible, will predictably soar in price over the coming years.

In checking some of the jugs/pitchers, listed for sale on-line, many are in the $75-100.00 range; however, some are listed far higher. It will most likely have to do with size, style, the depiction and colors on the piece and how early the piece was made as to an actual price.

Great buy for $1.50 ! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back