Gilt Pewter perfume stopper, trying to date??

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea how old this may be?

its Pewter with heavy gilt,, with Large H

toped by a crown with Fleurs de lie

and it has cork on the end

Guessing its french perfume, but have no Idea how old?

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5869.jpg
IMG_5872.jpg
IMG_5873.jpg
IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5878.jpg

I can't find any with an "H" but the crown stopper was a popular motif for perfume and Holy Water bottles. Early 20th C.

f8f7d18fd88f34998cd8488b9277aab0--antique-glass-shaker.jpg

Upvote 0
I can't find any with an "H" but the crown stopper was a popular motif for perfume and Holy Water bottles. Early 20th C.

View attachment 1879871
Agree with the date & general ID. If I remember right there is a German perfume company that uses a similar crown. Good research avenue, I hope....

Upvote 0
The only perfume company using the 'H in circle' logo that springs to mind is Houbigant of Paris:

Houbigant.jpg

I couldn't find a match for the stopper, but they've been in business since 1775 and produced dozens of different perfume & fragrance brands, including limited editions and boxed sets with fancier packaging than their standard lines. If it's one of theirs, there could be a very large number of possibilities and you may have better luck if you search more intensively than I did.

One other thing stuck me. It looks like a crown atop a castle tower, which is rather 'masculine' imagery for the era that its likely from. If it is from a parfumier, I wouldn't rule out it being from a gentleman's cologne bottle. I wouldn't even rule out it being the stopper for some kind of fancy liqueur that's unrelated to any perfume company.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back