Gift from a friend- shingle gage?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 48" long, marked at inches, feet and 1/8 inches. Has 3, 1/4" by 9 1/4" adjustable rods held by allen head case hardened (?) set screws.

Sept 23 010.JPG

(sorry- close up photo has failed to load 3 times now :dontknow:)

AU Seeker my first impression was it was for drawing ellipses, but why the depth gage adjustment? And there is no marking attachments. I may just have to fend off Zombies. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I've seen a similar tool used by old carpenters like my grandfather to scribe a double arc for making curved trim pieces. I'm not sure it was actually intended for that use though.

Upvote 0
I still think it's a beam compass, the points that are used on a beam compass are called trammel points, many but not all trammel points are adjustable in depth, as seen in some of these pictures.

trammel points - Bing Images

A beam compass can be use for many different tasks, but they're mostly use for marking a radius/circle.

You can buy the trammel points separately and use a ruler, yard stick or a piece of wood of any length as the beam to make as large of a radius/circle as required.

On most trammel points one of the steel points can be swapped out for a pencil, most are designed so a pencil will fit in place of the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks AU Seeker. It didn't occur to me to swap out a point for a pencil. One of the pics on the link showed it being used in boat building.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back