Getting the most out of the AT Pro... any tips?

Sep 19, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all - looking for some advanced tips on using the AT Pro - been using it about half the season and LOVING it. Pulled an Indian Head at 11-12" the other day so I now am a believer that in the right conditions it can be a deep machine... And I have experienced many times already with the 5x8" coil that it's great at sorting through trash...

What I'm wondering is this - anyone have any extra tips to give me about getting more depth, or just using machine to it's fullest?

Here are a couple specific questions... The machine GB's in most lawns/woods around here to about 80... let's say I run it at 85... (I assume that's running it a little 'hot') - what will that gain me? A bit more depth? More sensitivity to smaller items? What about running it at 75? 70? How does tweaking the GB settings above or below recommended specifically affect finds?

Other question - Iron Disc - Default is 35... Been tending to run it there (in Pro Custom, no notching) unless I'm really in a noisy area... i.e. tons of nails, barn trash... then I've been going to 40, (still no notching). How will running above or below the default 35 Disc affect my finds? Let's say I'm out in open woods with little trash... Should I be running Pro Zero? Will that get me more depth than running default 35? Will running it at say...20, or 25, benefit me in trashy areas rather than cranking it to 40?

ANY and ALL input greatly appreciated.... Thanks!

I run mine in pro zero with little disc. I gb then drop it about 5 to 10. But any advise on a better setup is welcome.

It sounds like you are thinking in the right direction...I always run Pro Zero with 30 disc. And the 5x8 is a MUST!....as for depth...11-12" seems like its pretty good...I have dug Pellets from a pellet gun around 10" or so, So FOR ME..the dpeth is just perfect...Also...I finally figured out the Iron Audio...I dont keep it on at all times...Only on Iffy Signals

Hey all - looking for some advanced tips on using the AT Pro - been using it about half the season and LOVING it. Pulled an Indian Head at 11-12" the other day so I now am a believer that in the right conditions it can be a deep machine... And I have experienced many times already with the 5x8" coil that it's great at sorting through trash...

What I'm wondering is this - anyone have any extra tips to give me about getting more depth, or just using machine to it's fullest?

Here are a couple specific questions... The machine GB's in most lawns/woods around here to about 80... let's say I run it at 85... (I assume that's running it a little 'hot') - what will that gain me? A bit more depth? More sensitivity to smaller items? What about running it at 75? 70? How does tweaking the GB settings above or below recommended specifically affect finds?

Other question - Iron Disc - Default is 35... Been tending to run it there (in Pro Custom, no notching) unless I'm really in a noisy area... i.e. tons of nails, barn trash... then I've been going to 40, (still no notching). How will running above or below the default 35 Disc affect my finds? Let's say I'm out in open woods with little trash... Should I be running Pro Zero? Will that get me more depth than running default 35? Will running it at say...20, or 25, benefit me in trashy areas rather than cranking it to 40?

ANY and ALL input greatly appreciated.... Thanks!
Use as "little" disc. as you can get by with! It effects your depth! If you want to cancle some targets out use the "notching" feature,it won't cause you to loose any depth!:thumbsup:

Use as "little" disc. as you can get by with! It effects your depth! If you want to cancle some targets out use the "notching" feature,it won't cause you to loose any depth!:thumbsup:

Yaay! I learned something new today!

Thanks - I haven't been doing any notching, because I have been finding Colonial era buttons ringing up on low numbers, like 47,48,49... Then once you are up to 52 with nickels, there are all sorts of interesting things from there to 63 (pulltab) including Gold, which I certainly don't want to miss. Sure, I dig my share of shotgun shells, etc, but better that than miss a real treasure. Cheers, CNE

If you cherry picked an area clean like I did, use Pro zero without discrimination and Max the sensitivity and start digging pulling tabs for gold, the 5x8 coil works deep so move slow dig the maybes an listen for those high tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back