Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We decided to detect a site again and hit it at right angle to the grid we've done before. Not much expected, just to make sure we cleaned up well. Other than two scrappies in the main area a nice 1/2 Mark turned up as the first Silver today. Just at the turnaround point a row further a blue piece of glass was hoping for pick up. I could feel the surface wasn't smooth so i stopped rubbing off the dirt and waited for a careful cleaning at home and was glad i did. It's an iron age, exactly LaTene, blue glass bracelet frag with yellow/white strand overlay, dating to 3rd to 1st C. BC.
That makes the site 400 years older as we thought. Further away of the site a roman silver turned up. Badly worn with 1.9grams and something looking like a counterstamp. Great day by our standards! :thumbsup:

34637571db.jpg

Glass bracelet frag
34637572zw.jpg

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder...9723&sid=a786c7c9-387c-4d13-8483-e5036626d8b0

Silver of the day
34637573ig.jpg

34637574rj.jpg

Counterstamp?
34637575cr.jpg

And the nails of the day....
34637611qz.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34
great day? totally! the old silver is awesome too. the bracelet piece is just super cool and just finding a piece of it is amazing

Hi, nice hunt with some nice old finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Nice finds Lu. Still havnt found a silver mark or 1/2. That bracelet fragment is amazing!

Nice finds Lu. Still havnt found a silver mark or 1/2. That bracelet fragment is amazing!

I was thinking the same. Compared to roman silver these 'young' stuff is hard to come by. It's my first 1/2 Mark and i only have one 1Mark....
Must be the sites i hunt. Ancient stuff is my main interest. :occasion14:

Wow that bracelet bit is cool, never seen one like it!

Nice finds, and that is a very attractive bracelet fragment! It did not suffer the effects of hydration which often makes the ancient glass cloudy and ugly on the surface. I have a later Iron Age Celtic teal bracelet with white spirals (which suffered from hydration of the glass much more than your fragment), but I had to buy it. We can't walk fields and find treasure like that here in the USA!

Nice finds, and that is a very attractive bracelet fragment! It did not suffer the effects of hydration which often makes the ancient glass cloudy and ugly on the surface. I have a later Iron Age Celtic teal bracelet with white spirals (which suffered from hydration of the glass much more than your fragment), but I had to buy it. We can't walk fields and find treasure like that here in the USA!

Thanks Plumbata, we had a deep plough on some fields due to the drought this summer, possible this came up from the deep what helped with condition. The broken ends look old though.

Excellent relics! That glass fragment is truly awesome...I imagine a very skilled worker fashioning that piece, with very little to work with, but using his hands and his head to produce a fabulous piece, a true work of art. Congrats and thanks for sharing, Ddf.

Congratulations. Nice hunt:icon_thumright:

Congrats on the nice finds! That Iron Age Bracelet piece is amazing and if it were me, I would go back to the area found and dig, dig, dig and use a sifter in hopes of find the other pieces that might just be nearby. Of course, permission to dig up the field would be obtained from the land owner.

You did very well, congratulations! :occasion14:

Wow awesome finds! That piece of the bracelet is really cool! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

At first I thought I saw a galley on the worn silver so I thought of Marc Ant. but now I see a head on the otherside it must be another type of circa 40-55(ish) BC Coin.

At first I thought I saw a galley on the worn silver so I thought of Marc Ant. but now I see a head on the otherside it must be another type of circa 40-55(ish) BC Coin.

I'm completely lost with this one. There is not much more to get out with pics. Obverse looks off center whilst the back is centered well.

Congrats on the nice finds! That Iron Age Bracelet piece is amazing and if it were me, I would go back to the area found and dig, dig, dig and use a sifter in hopes of find the other pieces that might just be nearby. Of course, permission to dig up the field would be obtained from the land owner.

There is only a small chance to find more even with sifting, it can be travelled a long way sticking to tractor tires or in harvesting machinery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back