George Washington Inaugural Button - New Variety?

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello folks!

Yesterday I dug my very first George Washington Inaugural Button!

After doing some research, I have come to the conclusion that it is the "ultra-rare" Cobb-16 variety, or in Albert's button book, WI-18A, with only two known examples.

Or so I thought.

After looking carefully, I noticed that there is a dot in between the words PRESIDENT and LONG on the button online. My button does not have this feature, however. Also, there are horizontal bars within each letter, but I cannot tell from the pictures online whether or not WI-18A has /this/ feature.

Here's the link to my original post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...elievable-first-hunt-2013-call-me-butter.html

I'm hoping that somebody out there has a good button book/guide and will be able to provide me with some information, because there is little information on my button available online.

Could it be a new variety? How much could it be worth? I don't know the answer to these questions, but I'm hoping that somebody does.

Thanks in advance!

-Anthony

Attachments

• 3-16-13 104.JPG
    3-16-13 104.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 177
I've looked at both of those sites...the first one, I really don't feel like spending (my mother's money) right now, especially when it might just have information I already know, and I know she'd never go for it.
The second site is where I got my (limited) information.
Thanks though!

Upvote 0
You should be doing your research on the georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com site. First, you will see how many of those buttons are out there from metal detecting finds. Also there are clear descriptions of what the button should look like so you know you haven't dug a repo. Using Albert's book is using a resource that is 50+ years old. The last one dug was in Ohio on a horse farm, it was laying near the top. The one before was found in Mississippi by a 17 year old girl named Cassidy. By the way, I personal own two of these buttons. Nice find though.

:headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You need to get this looked at by a expert in person only way imo to go about it! good luck and awesome find! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
By the way even if it does appear to be missing I don't think it's enough to really make a difference in value. Those letters don't appear to be raised, and if that is the case the dot/stop could simply be filled in.

Upvote 0
Playing with the photo I do see the dot, so it is the a WI-18A from what I see. Interesting, I remember a Stacks cataloger telling me a few years ago, that some GW buttons are not from the 1st Inaugural, but most likely from the 2nd one and since this one has 15 stars, and we did not have 15 states till 1792, this must be one of those he was talking about. As IP had said on Goldirock's GW find this week, the prices are not at their highest lately and I wish you luck in getting an value. I suggest you contact an auction house to get somewhat of an idea. I will PM you an email addy of an individual who might be that type of person to give you an idea. But I think rj39ny could probably give you a ballpark figure, if he wanted to, since he owns two of them. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back