George III token ? Indian peace medal ? solved.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. A friend asked me to try and find out what this coin/token is. I was reading another post here yesterday about someone that had found an Indian peace medal and it looked alot like this one that my friend has.I will get exact measurements tomorrow but its about the size of a silver dollar but thicker.Its copper (?) and is dated 1797.If you look just below and to the right of the seated figure there is some lettering that I believe says soyd ??? not sure I'll get a closer look tomorrow once I can get better pics. Thanks !

Attachments

• 3 18 11 001.JPG
    3 18 11 001.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 3 18 11 003.JPG
    3 18 11 003.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 323
Re: George III token ? Indian peace medal ?

I think they call it a cartwheel penny. Iron Patch can tell you for sure. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

mainer said:
I think they call it a cartwheel penny. Iron Patch can tell you for sure. :icon_thumright:

Yes, but looks like the twopence. (2 penny)

Upvote 0

A British 1797 copper Twopence (George III)(41 mm diameter, aka a "Cartwheel coin"), uncirculated and in absolute mint condition could fetch up to £1,400 GBP (it would have to possess close to or full original red mint lustre to command this price). If it has been circulated but still in good condition, it might fetch anything from £40 to £400 GBP.

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_value_of_a_1797_British_Twopence#ixzz1H0Ban7TV

Upvote 0
Only made for 1 year, extremely unpopular pocket change.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back