✅ SOLVED Generational mystery...anyone have any ideas what this is?

jntramey

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother found this in/near a lake in northeast Arkansas in the 50's. She asked the folks at the State Natural History Dept., but they had no clue, and suggested she send it of to an archaeologist in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Well, long story short(er), she never got around to it. more than a few decades later, I was watching a show on History Channel and remembered this item; called mom (in her 70's now, but don't tell her I told you) and she sent me this pic of it to my phone. Yes, my mom is "hip" to tech tools of today! :D
It's non-ferrous (did the magnet test)
about as big as a JFK half dollar
the front has a Spinx like character with a Sun like head on the front wearing a feathered headdress(?) with a pyramid in the background.
the obverse has an unusual character (sorry for poor pic, will try to upload better one later)
with a horned headdress with a Sun(?) between them.
The character's head is maybe animal (?) with outline of draped skin or cape over shoulders.
It's right arm is just a stub with some symbols or characters (one looks like a cane)
in it's left hand it has a fan or large club or blade(?)
Sorry for the poor pics, will try to get better pic posted.
I thought it could be Central/South American (Aztec, Mayan)
Any help identifying this would be great, even if it turns out to be some teenagers artwork or costume jewelry piece from the 50's or earlier.
5ed1468b3fab03d3beee67b4b72fee62_zps254ced79.jpg

dc7893e9146cb8afe0a0703860509268_zps7a52b27a.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY COW! You guys are good! It looks WAY too similar to that pic to not be related. I had doubts as to the age being really old because of the little ring at the top and the way it was brazed to the medallion. LOL! won't mom be surprised we got an answer this fast. That has GOT to be what this is (or a copy of one.) I'm leaning towards a copy of one as this one's images are engraved and not raised as in a cast piece. Thanks folks! SOLVED!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back