fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the smallest "clip" I have ever found and the first marked one. Marked C B on both sides with a double trident beneath. That seems like a lot of work for a garter clip. Could it be to something else and does anyone know what the markings stand for?
20231010_231601.jpg

Your unidentified find is a Corset Fasterner. (Note, they seem to have also been used for a few other types of clothing.) See the photo and original US Patent diagram below. Your find can date anytime from the last 1/3rd of the 1800s through the first half of the 1900s. After that time, corsets rapidly fell out of favor with the public.

Attachments

• corset-fastener-eyelet_CorsetBuskPatent-diagram.png
    corset-fastener-eyelet_CorsetBuskPatent-diagram.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 26
  • corset-fastener-eyelet_ON-CORSET_TN_postedbyNovatreasure.jpg
    corset-fastener-eyelet_ON-CORSET_TN_postedbyNovatreasure.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 8
Your unidentified find is a Corset Fasterner. (Note, they seem to have also been used for a few other types of clothing.) See the photo and original US Patent diagram below. Your find can date anytime from the last 1/3rd of the 1800s through the first half of the 1900s. After that time, corsets rapidly fell out of favor with the public.
I tell you, TCBG is a walking, talking encyclopedia of knowledge.

Upvote 3
To piggyback on cannonball guy’s date range, the patent shown is for the busk not the fasteners, which predate that patent. Since whale bone stays went out of fashion in favor of iron stays, those fasteners have existed. Mid to late 1800s, up though the beginning of the Edwardian era.

Upvote 3
I find those occasionally and wondered what they were.... underwear components?! ...gosh, I appreciate modern underclothing, things are simpler today!

Upvote 2
Little harlot probably lost it on purpose….
Showing off her girls to the boys in town.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back