Garrett CX Metal detector TALKING

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Hi i have a Metal detector from garrett,I think its like 10 - 15 years old.It was one of the best came with a garret bag and it TALKS and Tell you with a Female voive what the item is.I have not been metal detecting in the last 10-15 years and only used the unit twice.Its still like new i guess and wondering has the Metal detectors has got that much better?I think since i am retired in live in the poconos pa that i might find a few good sites......I was thinking of taking it to Lake tahoe and go a bit north and try to find GOLD with it and wondering if this unit is any good at finding gold?thanks for all yea help...Johnny

Upvote 0
Can't give you much information on the detector you described there John, best advice is to take to your local MD shop and ask the owner for more info. As far as the advancement in detectors it has gone in leaps and bounds in the past 10 years. More and more advances in electronic technology has given the way towards better discrimination of junk. Good luck and post your finds.

Thanks for your time,i think i bought it like 13 years ago,It was the best that garrett sold at the time.I am sure there are better metal detectors out there now but just wondering how good mine is.Because there were no website 10 years ago on metal detectors.Very interesting that the detector would tell you its a penny in a females voice... lol...Thanks johnny

Can't help you on the detector but welcome to the forum. My inlaws live at Lake Naomi in the Poconos. I hear tell there's gold in them thar hills! I want to detect a few places up there. I hear they drained Bradys Lake and took down the dam. That would be a great spot if you can still get to it. Where abouts do you live up there?

Welcome johnny, you're Detector the GARRETT CX III is a top of the line ( Back in the 80') but make sure you read your manual ( the biddy one) carefully since the adjustments are tricky at first use ( past experience).Practice prior to going to Tahoe and you probably will have a good time. I own both the CXII and the CXIII and am still using them.Good luck ARCOM

Welcome johnny, you're Detector the GARRETT CX III is a top of the line ( Back in the 80') but make sure you read your manual ( the biddy one) carefully since the adjustments are tricky at first use ( past experience).Practice prior to going to Tahoe and you probably will have a good time. I own both the CXII and the CXIII and am still using them.Good luck ARCOM

Wonder what happened on my last post ???or do I have a long lost relative of the same name ;D ;D ;D ;D

The CXIII is a very good machine,

it will hold its own against any new detector of today.

It was designed to be a "do all" machine with major efforts towards prospecting, and cache hunting as well as coin hunting. I owned 1 for approx. 5 yrs during the early/mid 90s, and found tons of good coins, relics, etc. with it. It works especially well with the 5x10 elliptical coil which also lightens the detector quite a bit.

The design of machine was/is not a comfortable one, it requires 6 or 8 C size batts adding to the weight, and ease of swing was an issue with me. Those were the only major draw backs I found, and was why I ended up selling mine.

The overall performance of the machine is still just about unbeatable, the depth is good, the ID meter is good, (especially if you have the 2nd generation machine from the mid 90s with Power Master Circuitry which was an up-graded micro chip from 10 bits to 12 bits) and you can also attach the 2 box depth multiplier for cache hunting (1 of only 3 Garrett machines made that accepts it).

The machine also has "VCO" pin-pointing which is deadly accurate (a feature I wish all top end machines had).

Advice/tips,

1: turn the "Treasure talk" feature off while hunting-- it has no viable/beneficial use whatsoever, it will slow your hunting down, and will drive you nuts + it helps wear out the batts faster.

2: hunt in all metal "motion mode" (not true all metal "non motion mode") for best results, added depth, and most variety of finds while hunting (especially in less trashy areas).

3: For gold "prospecting" - use "True all metal non motion mode" to find small nuggets.

4: Turn on "Bi-Level" tone ID so that you don't miss good relics, and can tell the difference in what is under the coil. 1 mistake guys made with these detecors which caused them to miss a LOT of good targets was, they used only "Bell Tone" because they like/d the sound (but) the problem with that is, you'll miss good brass, nickel, gold, etc. targets because they don't ring like coins do with only the "Bell tone" on. You need to hear the multi tone to tell if you're over gold, brass, nickel, etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

IT TALKS?? must be possesed!!! sell it on ebay quick(for a small fortune) or send it to amityville!!(care of my address!!)

Thanks for all of yea help,,,,,Brady lake is about 30 mins away i think.I will have to look into it,don't know if they fixed it.Being 48 and retired i need to find something to do with my time instead of going o work lol.I don't know if i want to take it with me to tahoe because its something else i will have to carry lol,but i am thinking about it since i am not going till july.It looks like a good machine and glad the machine in not that outdated.I can see people upgrading but hate to waste my money like i did on this machine and upgrade and maybe not use it again lol.But i am hoiping to start useing it since i found this site....Thanks too yea alllllll.Jt

Yup,.....That's the one I STILL use......I get 6 batteries,,,,put them all in her mouth and turn her Treasure Talkin Mouth OFF.......I hunt very Low discrimination and get enough of a head ache in trashy areas ,without hearing her tell me every move to make.....It's like having my wife standing inside my headphones with me (NO OFFENCE LADIES)! There was a Field Test in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine 9 years ago......January 1996/Volume 30 ,that verifies it is a multi-task machine....."It can be used for all types of hunting,including coin and beach hunting,relic and gold coin hunting,AND cache hunting...
Once you get used to it, you'll love it.....It is simple to understand,and program,and gives you a great number of hunting and tweaking options....I have my own operator settings for Beach,and Relic,and I tweak the Coins mode when I use that...It is a turn on and hunt machine,that works wonderfully in any of the presets mode.........And has Yet to be greatly improved upon...(Except for the Powermaster Curcuitry that came out not long after it (CX III) was introduced.....As far as I know ,the machine was introduced in 1993 ? Have Fun With it......No use wasting money on a new one to Nuggett hunt with ,when you already own a great one !
(Just my 2 cents...._____ 1.2 cents after taxes) H.H.

Thanks yea Mc Nickle
I just pulled it out of my other house from the basement.
Just looking at it it looks like a great machine.No Knobs to turn only Push buttons.
I just found a new spot,Forgot my brother just bought a New $2 million dollar house just a few blocks from the water in MONTAUK long island ......Hope to check it out within a week or 2 and maybe a few people might have lost a few rings or something on the beach lol......JT :o

That would be cool if you could select between a Female, Male, or robot voice for your metal detector.

I had the earlier garrett deepseeker, and have been racking my brain, which took at least 5 seconds. Somebody will correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems to me that the instructions for prospecting. Was to run in motion discriminate with it set at 0 disc. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back