Garrett 2500 upgrade

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
hello everyone. I am new to this site and fairly new to metal detecting. I was using a whites prism II and because I loved it so much, I decided to go all out and purchashed a used garrett 2500 off ebay.

Can anyone tell me how I can figure out if it has the upgrade or not? Judging by the serial number is is an older model made in 99 (If I am correct on that, the first 2 digits of the serial number).

Thanks

I know that i have seen the serial #s for the machines that have been upgraded and the ones that haven't, but i cant seem to find it now. you could always get on the Garrett website and give them a call. they are always helpful whenever i have to call them. good luck.

just out of curiosity, how did using a whites influence your purchase of a garrett? they are 2 totally different animals.

Well I have an older Garrett Treasure Ace that was given to me. It works great especially at finding coins. I bought the Whites because I liked the idea of having the graphics and it was in my budget at the time. I have used it for a few months and I like it, it is easy to use and very light weight.

I have also used a Garrett 150 but found that the depth reading wasn't really accurate but again the tone is nice and solid when you run across a coin.

The reason I went with the 2500 is because I live in New England and there are plenty of spots to look for relics so I wanted a machine that could almost "do it all".

I guess that I just like the strength of the signals that the Garrett's produce better than my whites does. Just preference that's all.

ok, that works. If you ever do find the serial numbers that have the upgrade and the ones that dont feel free to post it on here.

From what I have heard, MDs made after 2006 have the upgraded chip but the year could be wrong. I also read that you can tell what year yours was made by the serial number. Mine starts with 99 so I assume it was made in 1999.

I haven't had the time to call and talk to anyone at Garrett as yet because I was just informed today that I will not be receiving mine until Monday. :(

I had hoped to get this friday so that I can spend some time with it over the weekend. BUMMER!!!

My Detector arrived today and it is raining!! I wasn't expecting it until Monday as that is what UPS had listed. I was so happy when I came home and saw it there.

I waited until it was on drizzling and then went out to try it. Found a few targets that I will dig hopefully this weekend!

I am sooooooooo excited!!!

Now I can call the Garrett company and found out about the chip upgrade.

Thanks John,

It does not have the upgrade. I went out today for about 4 hours and found just over 4 dollars and a an old door knob.

It was a beautiful day today!!!

Do you remember any of the specifics about what serials have the upgrade and the ones that dont? It might be good for me to know for future reference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back