🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Garnets?

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing garnets but I thought I'd ask anyway, found it on a walk in the agua fria river this morning, anyone have have another opinion?
20220809_083711.jpg

Attachments

• 20220809_083614.jpg
    20220809_083614.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220809_083812.jpg
    20220809_083812.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 70
Interesting and attractive looking rock. Is the matrix Mica? its tough to tell from the images. The included minerals almost look like they could be Corundum or Garnet looking at the close up photos.
Thanks, it's much prettier wet so I'm definitely gonna polish this specimen. I'm guessing garnets, corundum is found in Arizona but nowhere near where I found this, I do like the pinkish ruby look but again I think they are garnets. What do you think the host is, epidote, that's what I'm thinking 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Thanks, it's much prettier wet so I'm definitely gonna polish this specimen. I'm guessing garnets, corundum is found in Arizona but nowhere near where I found this, I do like the pinkish ruby look but again I think they are garnets. What do you think the host is, epidote, that's what I'm thinking 🤷‍♂️
Thought I'd show it wet. Not the best shot because I'm using flash.

Attachments

• 20220820_062801.jpg
    20220820_062801.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220820_062818.jpg
    20220820_062818.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
more corundum to me, that "purple" shade, garnets are red or rarely green (uvarovite) the rock probably is a metamorphic rock derived from a sedimentary rock..
the excess in Al often shows as new crystal of that type

Upvote 2
It looks like some of the pegmatite Beryl found around Little San Domingo and east to Picacho peak. Lots of big Beryl, Mica, Tourmaline and Feldspar crystals there.

There is one wash full of giant Beryl there. One really big Beryl sitting right in the middle of the wash is often used by Beryl hunters as a resting place. Most don't even notice the eight sided flat top "rock" they are sitting on is a whole crystal. :thumbsup:

Upvote 3
Heres a garnet attached to gold ,magnified 2000x .And another one dead center of 2nd. pix.
017.JPG
009.JPG

Upvote 1
It looks like some of the pegmatite Beryl found around Little San Domingo and east to Picacho peak. Lots of big Beryl, Mica, Tourmaline and Feldspar crystals there.

There is one wash full of giant Beryl there. One really big Beryl sitting right in the middle of the wash is often used by Beryl hunters as a resting place. Most don't even notice the eight sided flat top "rock" they are sitting on is a whole crystal. :thumbsup:
By chance do you know the name of that wash Clay, I'd love to hunt for beryl! I found this on a walk by my house at the agua fria river south of lake pleasant, literally at Thunderbird and grand ave, actually there's a giant man made dirt mound about a half mile long, I was searching the runoffs where the rocks were cleaned from the rain, I think it's from then they flattened the land for building these homes back in the 90s. I didn't know a redish purple beryl is found here, I thought only in Utah🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
By chance do you know the name of that wash Clay, I'd love to hunt for beryl! I found this on a walk by my house at the agua fria river south of lake pleasant, literally at Thunderbird and grand ave, actually there's a giant man made dirt mound about a half mile long, I was searching the runoffs where the rocks were cleaned from the rain, I think it's from then they flattened the land for building these homes back in the 90s. I didn't know a redish purple beryl is found here, I thought only in Utah🤷‍♂️
I seem to recall that short unnamed wash is just east of upper Trilby wash. There are many more deposits found on the line from the upper Trilby wash dike swarm to Sheep Mountain/French Creek to the east (almost to Lake Pleasant). That entire area has many dikes and associated pegmatites. More than likely that area is where your specimen washed down from.

This area is known world wide for it's truly giant crystallization. Just to the north of Castle Hot Springs road there is an approx 60 foot crystal exposed on a hillside. As you near the mines at the top of the pass look closely at the interfaces between the rock types. There is where you will find large light metal minerals. Look for mica schist to hold the more appealing and accessible crystals.

Red Beryl is not ruby. Beryl comes in virtually endless color combinations and shades. I don't know of any shade of Beryl that is unique to a single location. All rubies fluoresce but the fact that a sorta red Beryl crystal fluoresces does not indicate it is a ruby. What you have is pink Beryl in a Mica schist, pretty common for the area.

While you are rock hounding the area watch for fairly clear quartz pebbles with small black schorl crystals randomly embedded. These are really common in that area and bring a fair price from lapidaries.

One of the best fluorescent mineral locations in the US is even closer to your home base. The lead mines just north of the Hassyampa at the railroad bridge outside Morristown have beautiful multiple mineral/color combinations. Stay out of the mines/private property/mining claims as the area is very active and the mine owners do mine for the fluorescent minerals.

Upvote 2
I seem to recall that short unnamed wash is just east of upper Trilby wash. There are many more deposits found on the line from the upper Trilby wash dike swarm to Sheep Mountain/French Creek to the east (almost to Lake Pleasant). That entire area has many dikes and associated pegmatites. More than likely that area is where your specimen washed down from.

This area is known world wide for it's truly giant crystallization. Just to the north of Castle Hot Springs road there is an approx 60 foot crystal exposed on a hillside. As you near the mines at the top of the pass look closely at the interfaces between the rock types. There is where you will find large light metal minerals. Look for mica schist to hold the more appealing and accessible crystals.

Red Beryl is not ruby. Beryl comes in virtually endless color combinations and shades. I don't know of any shade of Beryl that is unique to a single location. All rubies fluoresce but the fact that a sorta red Beryl crystal fluoresces does not indicate it is a ruby. What you have is pink Beryl in a Mica schist, pretty common for the area.

While you are rock hounding the area watch for fairly clear quartz pebbles with small black schorl crystals randomly embedded. These are really common in that area and bring a fair price from lapidaries.

One of the best fluorescent mineral locations in the US is even closer to your home base. The lead mines just north of the Hassyampa at the railroad bridge outside Morristown have beautiful multiple mineral/color combinations. Stay out of the mines/private property/mining claims as the area is very active and the mine owners do mine for the fluorescent minerals.
Thanks Clay, I really appreciate the help, and tips!

Upvote 1

Great information Clay. I wish I lived out that way. I would need to check it out.

Upvote 1
Have you checked the State's Geologic Survey map? That will show just about everything that is there. https://geomapaz.azgs.arizona.edu/
Or you could go to the Land Matters Arizona Geology map. You will see the same map information with links to a description of each rock type. You also have land status, geochemistry, mineral potential, mining features (with links to the mine history data), topographic mineral features, roads, a choice of base maps and the ability to directly download any or all of the other 43 geologic maps available for that area.

Geology mapping on steroids! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back