GAR Medal?

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
I found this about 10 yrs ago, i think its a GAR Medal but dont know much about it. Is it Union or Confederate issue or both? When were they issued? Is it valuable? Thanks for looking. Coinman66

Attachments

• Metal Detector Finds 164.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 164.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Metal Detector Finds 166.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 166.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 330
  • Metal Detector Finds 168.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 168.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 318
There are so many GAR medals out there that its hard unless you can pinpoint the State. Medals or commemorative badges with ribbons were given each year at reunions and ralleys.
That is one beautiful medal tho...Congrats . I would try looking at Texas because of the Star

Upvote 0
........................ thousands.............................
Each State ,confederate and Union issued the soldiers these after the war...usually at each reunion or special event and sometimes the reunions were held every five years. They also gave out GAR veteran badges and medals at Civil War Reunion picnics.

Upvote 0
The star is the standard medallion, or "drop," of a Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) membership badge. It would have been presented to and worn by only a member of the GAR, an organization for Union veterans of the Civil War. At its height, in the 1890's, the GAR had over 400,000 members. There were also other, smaller organizations for Union veterans which competed with the GAR for members. Confederate veterans had their own organization, the United Confederate Veterans, or UCV.

Several versions of the badge, which was patterned on the Congressional Medal of Honor, were issued. All are very similar at first glance, differing only in details such as the exact angles of the points of the star, the types and numbers of symbols on the reverse, etc. The same drop was used on officer's badges. It was generally not used for the annual encampment (reunion or convention) badges, although some do have similar stars.

Anyone interested in learning more about the GAR and their badges should check out the links which I posted above. There are also several good references on the subject, the most recent and readily available being Membership and National Encampment Badges of the Grand Army of the Republic, 1866-1949 by Kenneth R. Johnson and Jeffrey B. Floyd.

Here is an example of a complete membership badge:

Attachments

• GAR-1jpg.jpg
    GAR-1jpg.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back