✅ SOLVED Furniture date?

stevengugas

Dec 1, 2016
Rixeyville, Va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help date this piece dresser. It appears to be 19th Century but I am looking for more details if possible.
436252823_10162243949314411_2131292737118946441_n.jpg

Unless someone recognized this exact type, an inspection of the piece would be needed. Things like species of wood in visible areas like the front in the picture but also drawer, back and bottom wood species, joint types in drawer corners, types of fasteners if any (nails, screws), type of finish, hardware details would all help. Have you checked the back, bottom and bottoms of drawers for labels?

Reactions: BAW
Upvote 1
Unless someone recognized this exact type, an inspection of the piece would be needed. Things like species of wood in visible areas like the front in the picture but also drawer, back and bottom wood species, joint types in drawer corners, types of fasteners if any (nails, screws), type of finish, hardware details would all help. Have you checked the back, bottom and bottoms of drawers for labels?
More research found that it was made in 1893 for the Chicago
Worlds Fair. The lady I bought it from brought it to Va. from chicago.

Upvote 0
It looks sturdy.

Just curious, how did you determine that it was "made in 1893 for the Chicago World's Fair"?

Was anything on the drawer bottoms or sides? What about inside?

Upvote 0
It looks sturdy.

Just curious, how did you determine that it was "made in 1893 for the Chicago World's Fair"?

Was anything on the drawer bottoms or sides? What about inside?
I found a number of identical dressers on google. They all indicated that this was a period piece built to commemorate the Worlds Fair held in Chicago in 1893. The eagle and globe were used to indicate the expanding American empire.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back