Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if someone can help ID this item. Found a few meters away from a trade axe. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/545183-tiniest-fur-trade-axe-i-have-ever-seen.html

Was deep in a ground vertically so the rings were still hanging on the handle when I found it.

Thanks.

20170626_215536[1241].jpg
20170626_215508[1243].jpg
20170626_215512[1242].jpg

Last edited:
I think alot of the northern trappers used these for ice chipping back in the day. i could be wrong ,and i cant put a name on it for you. ice spud i think thats what they call them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would think the rings bound/reinforced the joint were the tang was inserted into the wooden handle. Ages ago it was stuck in the ground for "temporary storage" (like I sometimes do my garden shovel) and forgotten (also like I sometimes do my garden shovel!). Then over time the wooden handle rotted away leaving the rings in place as you found them. That is my scenario anyway.

Respectfully,

Batch

Upvote 0
chisel / ice spud sounds right

Upvote 0
There has been some mention of round/ pointed spuds for ice. Yours is just a little on the thin side . Weight helps too when spudding through ice.
Still ,your piece could reopen a thinly frozen hole that had been insulated with pine boughs or similar.

It would make a good bark spud for peeling poles. Or when sap is up ,for harvesting bark. It's corners are blunt enough to flesh hides with...

It may well have served multiple functions...
The rat tail tang does as mentioned hint of a file being it's origin. Some grooves from file teeth may be evident ,but a groove can be a weak spot if pounding with the tool.
Depending on quality of material and heat treating of finished product ,file steel can be brittle.
Adding cold temps ( ice) risks greater threat of a fracture ,though blade like an axe can be warmed before use in extreme cold for temporary use.

Sure great recoveries there!

Upvote 0
I think alot of the northern trappers used these for ice chipping back in the day. i could be wrong ,and i cant put a name on it for you. ice spud i think thats what they call them.

Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0
There has been some mention of round/ pointed spuds for ice. Yours is just a little on the thin side . Weight helps too when spudding through ice.
Still ,your piece could reopen a thinly frozen hole that had been insulated with pine boughs or similar.

It would make a good bark spud for peeling poles. Or when sap is up ,for harvesting bark. It's corners are blunt enough to flesh hides with...

It may well have served multiple functions...
The rat tail tang does as mentioned hint of a file being it's origin. Some grooves from file teeth may be evident ,but a groove can be a weak spot if pounding with the tool.
Depending on quality of material and heat treating of finished product ,file steel can be brittle.
Adding cold temps ( ice) risks greater threat of a fracture ,though blade like an axe can be warmed before use in extreme cold for temporary use.

Sure great recoveries there!

Thank you for great info!

Upvote 0
Mine is brass so I can't compare. And I have seen a few axe heads as small or smaller than the one you posted. Very rare though, good for you !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back