Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 100_0090.jpg
    100_0090.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 100_0093.jpg
    100_0093.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7,241
Thats Milwaukee's Beast I mean Best. Oh the rock no idea there is one posted fro NANA40 about the same thing, about ten posts down from yours. Cool find though

Upvote 0
Without knowing much about the rock, I'll give you a maybe. You'll probably get lots of possible answers, but mineral i.d. is hard to do from a picture. Judging by the cleave and fracture, it could be sphalerite.
M04-Sphalerite.jpg

It has a light brown streak and about the same hardness as a penny.

Upvote 0
I got one of those silver rocks too. Never did find out what it was. Shows up on VDO in the silver range, but I'm pretty sure it is not silver. It's harder than lead but is slightly malleable and has a christiline structure. Beats me? Found it in some slag from a smelter. Monty

Upvote 0
It looks like it was some form of crystal like stuff. A picture without lightning would be great.

Upvote 0
Neat rock! Your best bet for an ID would be to go to a local rock shop or to a museum. (call ahead to make an appointment) It's very difficult to ID a rock from a picture alone since there are several possibilities. Have you tried a streak test? The color left behind when the rock is scratched on the underside (unglazed portion) of a ceramic tile would give us a better clue. Thanks for posting. :)
D.

Upvote 0
I found a silver rock a few months back, and took it to a jeweler. It passed the acid test for silver, but burned like tin. Never did find out what it is. Let us know if you take it to a jeweler for testing. They didn't charge me for it. Easiest way to tell if it's silver or not.

Upvote 0
I am going to take it to a lapidary shop today down the road, and maybe find some info on a tumbler. This rock is hard though, i think it might me manmade, but am not sure.

Upvote 0
By the looks of the rock, it looks like a meteorite. The top is pitted like one. How is the weight of it? Is it heavy/condensed? That would be my guess. Let us know.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Upvote 0
Steve in Michigan said:
By the looks of the rock, it looks like a meteorite. The top is pitted like one. How is the weight of it? Is it heavy/condensed? That would be my guess. Let us know.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan
It's very solid, pretty dense for it's size, crystalline stucture, i dropped it off at a lapidary shop to find out what it might be. I need to check back in soon.

Upvote 0
I'm almost certain it's Galena. Did a project way back in Junior High school on Galena, kind of stuck with me.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's galena, it's to quartz like for that. It's coverd with dirt/sand or something, clean it up.
For a better look, and another picture without lightning would be great.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back