Full grooved hammerstone

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought this was another nutting stone until I picked it up and saw the groove. I think its made of the same kind of stone. The poll end of it is slanted and it looks like it was used some way . I really like this piece as I have never found anything grooved like that.I also foynd some points and tools,or scrapers. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and close the year out with some stellar finds. 1121181723a.jpg1121181724.jpg1121181724a.jpg1121181724b.jpg1121181725.jpg

Upvote 0
Really like the dark points, but the hammer is great, looks like it was used along time.

Now thats something you dont see everyday a grooved maul in our neck of the woods. Cool find

So what period do you think your grooved stone is from? Flooded here again

Rock, my first thought was no earlier than early woodland. But thanks to the miracle of google I saw that according to the University of Iowa archaeology dept., grooved hardstone tools including mauls,axes, celts date back to the early archaic period.They also mentioned nutting stones or anvil stones in that time. So it may be much older than I thought.

Ive never found one and havent seen any found in this area yet or heard of anyone finding one. Im in N GA close to TN. Maybe you can take it to a artifact show and have some collectors from your area look at it, very nice recovery on that one. If you do let us know what they say Id be interested in knowing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back