sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
House sat for a friend today while he and his family attended his mother's funeral. He has basically looked after her single-handedly for about five years now and it has taken its toll on him. In order to give him some peace of mind against some opportunistic SOB breaking in while he buried his mama, I hung around his place in the meantime. I'll tell you, I wouldn't want to make a career out of house sitting. Finished a book, paced the floors, and this was after I looked at all his arrowheads and bottles (which I've seen countless times in the 30 years we've known each other) and the time does pass way too slowly. Anyway, here's a few pics of his collection, all personal finds...

Some fine Savannah Rivers here.

mt sr.jpg

As nice a Morrow Mountain as I've seen. He found it in the root ball of a big tree that had blown over.

mt mm.jpg

We looked a field that hadn't been worked in years but this time, they bottom plowed it deep. He found the cache of 5 blades (possibly Stanfields) that day. We've often wondered how many more might've remained hidden in that spot.

ck cache.jpg

A few more frames.

mt 3.jpg mt 2.jpg mt 1.jpg

I always enjoy going through the brokes. The ones across the top were in there, too. He found the little Clovis the same day he found the cache. Small and damaged, but still impressive and one you wish could talk. A couple of Daltons on either end, what appears to be a Hardin, an unfluted Clovis, and fourth from the left, not ground but possibly just never finished, unifaced and incredibly thin.

mt broke.jpg mt broke1.jpg

Unusually long Big Sandy(?) reworked into a scraper.

mt bs.jpg

Nice Abbey and a killer Gilchrist.

mt abb.jpg mt gil.jpg

I have a picture somewhere of some of the points he parted with during the lean years. I'll see if I can find it and post it later. Most importantly, I'm grateful for a friend that would trust me look after his place while he was away.

Later on.

Upvote 0
Awesome collection. I think what you referred to as a large Big Sandy may actually be a Stillwell Point. It has the basal style and the serrated blade edge. That is a killer piece as is all of the rest.

Good friends are far and few between anymore and ya'll are fortunate to have each other :heart: His collection is absolutely amazing! Looking at it reminded me of Americus' finds, always so beautiful and even the brokes are super sweet. Thank you for sharing it with us, I really enjoyed looking it all over.

Awesome collection. I think what you referred to as a large Big Sandy may actually be a Stillwell Point. It has the basal style and the serrated blade edge. That is a killer piece as is all of the rest.

I think you may be right. Glad somebody's thinking!

Good friends are far and few between anymore and ya'll are fortunate to have each other :heart: His collection is absolutely amazing! Looking at it reminded me of Americus' finds, always so beautiful and even the brokes are super sweet. Thank you for sharing it with us, I really enjoyed looking it all over.

Actually, that's where he was raised and most of these were found.

Some really nice points and nicely displayed ..... I think I would throw the Paleo with just the ear missing In a display too

Some really nice points and nicely displayed ..... I think I would throw the Paleo with just the ear missing In a display too

My thoughts exactly, as one that can't say that I've ever found even a piece of a Clovis.

The last picture posted I incorrectly typed as a Gilchrist. That should be Fairland. Sorry about that, and thanks to Bookum' for setting me straight!

My thoughts exactly, as one that can't say that I've ever found even a piece of a Clovis.

Yea me either ..... I think the best chance I will have is this summer I'm going to smith island for a few days ..... Small island a few miles off the coast of Maryland in the Chesapeake Bay there is a bunch of smaller islands too that has produced many Clovis points which really feeds into the Solutrean theory ... Islands are rapidly disappearing from rising water levels so hopefully I can do my part to help preserve history .... And check Clovis off my bucket list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back