Freshly dug...

O

Ohioan

Got out on a dig today. FINALLY! It's been almost a month since I've been able to stick my digger in the ground. For arrowheads anyway. Pulled this out from a spot just 2 feet or so from where I dug an almost identical one (same material, same thickness, and size) last month. Also dug at least 10 nice scrapers and 10 brokes, and if you multiply 10 x 10 that is how many mosquito bites I got. And that was just the first hour. Add that to the ones I already have and well almost makes me feel like closing the doors turning on the ac and watching tv all summer. But thats what sissys do so....we'll see what happens :dontknow:

Attachments

• post.JPG
    post.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0
:D I guess I'm a sissy then, I'm dreading the bugs n heat, its already 100 Degrees here damnit. :-\
Thats a nice find, my guess is if you have found another in the same area, I would be diggin there more often.
That happened to me, I found 1 Sav river, went back & now I have approx 20..same field..

Good Luck for next hunt.

Molly.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 369
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 369
Been digging that spot for a few years now, by the way its looking this summer I might be able to get 2 more winters digging in there definately no more summer digging for me my best digging spots are covered with sumac I'm immune to it to a point but its getting super thick. The picture of the clear spot is where loggers had their landing its the only place to surface hunt here now and its 3/4 mile uphill, been there several times this spring, won't be going back until cooler weather.

Attachments

• clearcut.JPG
    clearcut.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 376
  • landing.JPG
    landing.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 378
Just eat plenty of garlic, that'll keep the skeeters away (and your wife, kids, friends, curious onlookers, Etc...) Nice point, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

HH Charlie

The chiggers are what have been hammering me and the ticks are bad this year. I was picking low bush wild blue berries and rasberrys Sunday up in the bluffs and got ate alive. Nice finds. The site looks good. I am almost ready to start digging myself :thumbsup:

That scenery looks familiar...nice Adena man, worth the dig imo. Bring a citronella sp? candle with you on those digs or light a small fire is what I'd do. The bugs are bad this year.

I have to be a really sissy cause like Tenn. said the chiggers have drove me crazy and I hunt a lake and it is full and I have already seen lots of snakes so I guess I won't be hunting again until cold weather. I really miss finding artifacts. :'(

I haven't got chiggers yet this year probably because I got these big muck boots this spring, but I sure had a couple nasty infestations last year. I hate chiggers more than anything. Makes me feel more like I can tolerate the mosquitos after thinking about it. Ill have to try the candle 37 Ive heard dryer sheets are helpful and wild ginger etc the list goes on but I don't think anything actually works esp off. I'm out constantly all summer and I'd spend a fortune on that stuff if I used it everyday. And It would probably give you cancer or something too. :icon_scratch:

I give my kids thiamine (vitamin B1) for about two weeks before they go to camp. This helps keep the skeeters at bay, so I've been told. Don't have a clue what other benefits B1 has, but its sold in any store at the vitamin section. It has to build up in your system to be effective, so don't take one tonight and expect results tomorrow. Have no idea how it works for other bugs either. Love those adenas BTW.

mike

I got torn up by bugs while hunting this evening, gnats, skeeters, biting flies, you name it. Luckily I found a few things to keep it interesting and not retreat to a nice climate controlled environment. Anyway those candles work, just place it about 40 or 50 feet from where you're digging and they will be more interested in that scent than you...most of them anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back