DSC05451.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC05452.JPG
    DSC05452.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC05453.JPG
    DSC05453.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 413
well it's not steel or steel alloy. not aluminum, the oxidised color does not look like pewter. It looks old and thats all I can say.

Upvote 0
It looks like the top area of a mortar as in mortar and pestle. Breezie

Upvote 0
dirty digger dude said:
the neck is a little narrow for a mortar.

What would be the diameter of the neck if it were complete? They came/come in all sizes, and many were small since the nature of use was generally medicines. Here is a website with some modern wooden ones where the Mortar is only 2 5/8" in diameter x 2" to 2 1/4" deep.
http://www.crafty-owl.com/mortar-and-pestle.htm

:icon_thumleft: Breezie

Upvote 0
not a piece of pipe..it has no threads. looks like if you followed the contours it formed a complete container. With out having it here with I am going to guess you could put your thumb in the top with no problem but certainly not much else.
I am not claiming it's a relic but a civil war battle did occurred in this area. I originally though it may have been a grenade but the shape did not match anything of that era so I am sorta stumpped as to what its from. I also searched a civil war re-ennactors supply web site and again nothing ever came close to this. Again - I am stumpped. :help:

Upvote 0
Pewter teapot spout?

Then again... I'm American. What could I possibly know about tea... ::)

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Maybe the bottom piece of a stool or leg that fit over the wood. Kinda similiar to the ant trap ones on my hoosier. :icon_scratch:May have had a caster in the other end?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back