Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to our first Metal Detecting Club of Middle Tennessee club hunt and had the pleasure of meeting our own JPro who found a great group of flat buttons. Is it a railroad tie or possible tent stake on the left? Overall length is 3 and a half inches bit it looks like the tip has been knocked off and it is rounded. The other object is 3 inches exactly but cannot tell if it is supposed to be rounded at the end like that or if could be a modern day bolt I guess from a farming machine if some sorts,just wanted to photograph them together for size reference.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the finds! The big one on the left, appears to be a broken Railroad spike or an old Tent stake (used from the 1800's up until I believe the 1960's). The smaller one on the right is a type of Carriage bolt as you can still see the square under the round head.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks huntsman. T was in the middle of tons of acreage so I'm going with either tent stake or railroad tie used as a tent stake. The item on the right was dug just as deep as the stake so I'm going with your guess that its period as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks huntsman. T was in the middle of tons of acreage so I'm going with either tent stake or railroad tie used as a tent stake. The item on the right was dug just as deep as the stake so I'm going with your guess that its period as well.

You are welcome! Don't rule out that it is a railroad spike as there were many Railroad tracks in the wilderness to haul logs out in the late 1800's through at least the 1930's or later. In most areas, the evidence that there ever was Railroad tracks is long gone but in some areas, you can still identify the faint remains of Railroad grades and sometimes find what is left of some old Railroad ties. The Railroad that runs through the city I live in, is nearly 500 yards from my' home but I believe that it once ran in front of my' home til sometime after the Civil War as I have found Railroad spikes in my' front and back yards. Many Railroad grades were converted into roads or highways when the Railroad Companies moved the tracks to another location. If this is the case with the highway that runs in front of my' home, then there may be some Civil War artifacts just waiting for me to find as there was quite a bit of activity and battles in this area during the Civil War.

Good luck on your future hunts!

Frank

Upvote 0
I find R.R. spikes like that here on top of the ground , I grew up and have lived by the R.R. tracks My whole life.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back