ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
found two high dollar type CW buttons turned into "french style"cuff links -

I was at a coin shop went a man came in told the shop operator that his grandpa had passed and wanted to sell his coin collection and some buttons that he was told were valuible --- the coin operator told him that he would "look" at the coins but that he didn't deal with "buttons" --- after they finished their "deal" ---as the youngman left the dealer said don't forget your buttons -- the kid said since their useless you keep em --- I walked over and looked at them ---there was several gilted buttons marked waterbury button co (1) med sized (5 ) smaller sized plus one coat sized large button marked waterbury button co conn--- all the waterbury buttons had a eagle grasping an anchor with three cannon balls under the anchor and 13 stars in a ring around the outer edge --- the gilt was intact on them all but one of the small buttons (slight blimish) ---- but the best was yet to come --- there was two buttons that had been made into a pair of "french" style cufflinks --- one was a large coat type button -- union eagle wing spread type with a "A" on the chest on the front (artillery officer) and back marked --PETTIBONE M F' G CO (dot) CINCINNATI (dot) --- the other is a rebel navy button-- on the front has---- CSN below a fouled anchor over crossed cannons --the rear has-- FIRMIN & SONS 153 STRAND LONDON (dot) --the gilt is gone on the CSN button but otherwise its in great shape --- seen a similar looking CSN button with the gilt on it and the stem on it that was being sold online they were asking get this $1.3000 bucks for it --- oh ya baby ---

***update got the rest of them ----see the john rugheimer button*** --- below what a steal of a deal !!!

Upvote 0
Re: found two high dollar type CW buttons turned into "french style"cuff links -

WOW....

Did you get the buttons?

Re: found two high dollar type CW buttons turned into "french style"cuff links -

Hmmmmm...Dont you think you should try to find the kid and return them? I would think that someone that deals in coins would have had enough sence to know that the buttons could have been valuable and told the kid as much. >:(

coin dealer said it --- I don't deal in buttons --- I'm a coin dealer --- so there useless to him -- the kid sold the "whole" coin collection --- the coins and such meant nothing but CASH in hand to him --- he got his paper CASH money for a very nice batch of very old high quality silver coins -- he got "paid" and it was painfully clear at the time that was all he cared about ---gimme the money --- since he got "paid" he left "happy" --- when he was leaving the coin dealer made a point of telling him not to forget to take his "buttons"( he could have keep them as a item to "remember grandpa" by at least)--- he in a surley tone very matter of factly stated to the dealer to "keep them useless buttons" thus they belonged to the coin dealer --- who frankly had no need or want of them --- I bought them from him fair and square with a reciept to prove it --- now I should give up my bit "good luck" to hunt down the surley cash it all out as fast as possible kid? nah I think not --- Ivan

Id at least let the coin dealer know what they were actually vaued at since he "doesent deal in buttons". He probaly would of got more for those than the coins he just bought.

nope - not telling the coin dealer -- if their both "dumb" to my advantage why change the game ? -- then future goodies may not fall in my lap --- leave the "dumb" ---"dumb"--- if the want to "learn" let themask, 'd even aid them in learning -- now if either one had asked he "what do you think ? are these valuible? I would have answerted to the RIGHT PERSON those if their real civil war buttons could be very valuible." but since they both acted as if they "knew" what they were talking about and showed no "interest" in them why smarten up a smuck to my own disadvantage? --- more knowledgible folks get over on less knowledgible folks all the time -- their lack of knowledge is to my profit, if they acted as if the buttons were of the slightest interest to them other than a mere something to be bartered for cash money , I most likely would have said something to one or both of of them, but since the coins and buttons were not mine --- I had no right to butt in during their haggling over the price of the "collection"--- once the kid sold the coins he showed "no interest" at all in the buttons that his grandfather "saved" for him --- he gave the buttons to the dealer "you keep em since there "worthless" with a sneery tone" --nahwhy should I help such a ungrateful type of person -- he was just gimme the money ,money ,money nope not going to "reward him by using my brains for free"--- now that the "coin shop owner" had them (he got them in effect for free)- I really get to see them up close for the first time -- now I can see what types of buttons we are talking about--- humm could be good stuff ---now the coin dealer isn't interested in these --thus I can get them cheap -- (heck he just got them for "free" so any money its pure profit for him ) it was around lunchtime he most likely used the $15 to buy lunch -- so why should "use my brains against myself ? why should I smarten the coin dealer up ? --he would then either not sell or greatly raise the price --- so I did the smart thing---I kept my mouth shut other than to ask what do you want? and then I bought them and got a reciept --- Ivan

ivan salis said:
nope - not telling the coin dealer -- if their both "dumb" to my advantage why change the game ? -- then future goodies may not fall in my lap --- leave the "dumb" ---"dumb"--- if the want to "learn"et them even aid them in learning -- now if either one had asked he "what do you think ? are these valuible? I would have answerted to the RIGHT PERSON those if their real civil war buttons could be very valuible." but since they both acted as if they "knew" what they were talking about and showed no "interest" in them why smarten up a smuck to my own disadvantage? --- more knowledgible folks get over on less knowledgible all the time -- their lack of knowledge is my profit, if they acted as if the buttons were of the slightist interest to them other than mere something to be bartered for cash money , I most likely would have said some thing to one or both of of them, but since the coins and buttons were not mine --- I had no right to butt in during their haggling over the price of the "collection"--- once the kid sold the coins he showed "no interest" at all in the buttons that his grandfather "saved" for him --- he gave the buttons to the dealer "you keep em since there "worthless" with a sneery tone" --nah a ungreatful type --just gimme the money ,money ,money nope not going to "reward him by using my brains for free"--- now that the "coin shop owner has them - I really get to see them up close for the first time -- now I can see what types of buttons we are talking about--- humm could be good stuff ---now the coin dealer isn't interested in these --thus I can get them cheap -- (heck he just got them for "free" so any money its pure profit for him ) it was around lunchtime he most likely used the $15 to buy lunch -- so why should "use my brains against myself ? why should I I smarten the coin dealer up ? --he would then either not sell or greatly raised the price --- so I did the smart thing--- I bought them and got a reciept --- Ivan

Well I guess you got a point there. ;D I concur,now can we see some pic's ? :)

Here are the pictures of the buttons.

Attachments

• Civil War Button1front0007.jpg
    Civil War Button1front0007.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 394
  • Civil War Button1back0011.jpg
    Civil War Button1back0011.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 419

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back