rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went to check the creek level which wasnt to bad. I didnt find anything but 2 shards though. So I decided to walk the fields above looking for new camp sites that I havent found yet. Found some broken flint pieces for future hunts in different places. I walked to one of my best places I know of for finding a quick fix on my obsession. Found another broken one. I decided to call it a day and walked a different way and happened to look down. I saw this red rock barley showing and I knew rite away it wasnt the rite type to be that far away from the creek due to it being a creek cobble. I flipped it out and felt all around the sides cause it was dirty. I knew what it was and smiled. Here it is, rock

Attachments

• SDC11046.JPG
    SDC11046.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • SDC11047.JPG
    SDC11047.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha..nice rock rock
I just thought of something... if you stayed up for 24 hours you'd be rockin around the clock

And what do you call these in your town everyone? I have heard Divit Stone, Nutting Stone and grinder. What would you call it?

"Way to go"! Looks like one of those Nutting stones.

Nice tool! Nutting stone or grinder. A divot stone makes since also. It has that depression on the top. I've always wondered what makes it? I've seen grinding stones without too.

We would call it a nutting stone in my small circle of collectors, due to the pecked out depression, and if pecked on some of the edges would also consider it a grinding stone. Nice find, and sounds like you found it at the right time of the hunt (near the end so that you didn't have to carry it around with you the whole time searching). HH

There is a slight dimple on the other side also but wasnt really finished. I did ask a old timer that use to hunt 70 yrs ago and showed it to him. He said we have black walnuts here that would fit in the hole so I would guess that is probably what they were cracking. It shows use wear on 3 sides of it but no grinding marks that I can see so Nutting Stone it is. Thanks it is my first one.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for helping me to identify this artifact. Its always nice to find something you havent got in your collection yet. Now I just need a Celt or a Hoe or both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back